bioload for my 20 cube

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello I have a 8.5-month-old 20 cube and I have 2 clownfish and a royal gramma and firefish do you think that has enough space to add a small wrasse or fairy wrasse or shrimp goby I got rid of my nassarius snails so they can't hurt any of the things that sleep in the and bed I learned from my courtline goby :( thanks I'm pretty new so thanks for the help.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your water change rate?
Personally I would stick with 4 fish, though a small goby is possible to add.
Wrasse is a definite no. They would get in the way of the gramma’s territory and cause some fighting, and fairy wrasse is too big anyway.
Shrimpgoby is possible as they produce next to no waste. That would have to be it though.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello I have a 8.5-month-old 20 cube and I have 2 clownfish and a royal gramma and firefish do you think that has enough space to add a small wrasse or fairy wrasse or shrimp goby I got rid of my nassarius snails so they can't hurt any of the things that sleep in the and bed I learned from my courtline goby :( thanks I'm pretty new so thanks for the help.
I would say you're pretty much at your max right now. You may be able to add some inverts, but anything other than that would be overstock. (Plus there wouldn't be near enough swim room for the wrasse)

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe when your tank gets a few months older a very small fish like a tailspot blenny would be a good addition. Maybe a very small shrimp goby like a yasha goby

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your water change rate?
Personally I would stick with 4 fish, though a small goby is possible to add.
Wrasse is a definite no. They would get in the way of the gramma’s territory and cause some fighting, and fairy wrasse is too big anyway.
Shrimpgoby is possible as they produce next to no waste. That would have to be it though.
20% a week and I got some algae in the AIO sump so I could do something like a shrimp goby with a pistol shrimp?

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you're pretty much at your max right now. You may be able to add some inverts, but anything other than that would be overstock. (Plus there wouldn't be near enough swim room for the wrasse)
Yeah I was thinking I open space swimmer because most of my fish are in the rock except the clown my firefish literally lives under the biggest rock and comes out and is fine some how what other open water swimmers could I add

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a possum wrasse but I don’t know how it would get along with the gramma. The possum is very peaceful and a beautiful swimmer.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are kind of the only good open water fish for the current stocking. They are mean and won’t be pleasant with the others. The firefish will be out more as it gets more comfortable, mine eventually never hid. The gramma should do similar, but will stay close to the rocks.
Only open territory is the sandbed, which can be occupied by a shrimp goby. Stonogobiops tend to be more active than other shrimpgobies. I would wait a bit longer before adding though, as others have said.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was thinking I open space swimmer because most of my fish are in the rock except the clown my firefish literally lives under the biggest rock and comes out and is fine some how what other open water swimmers could I add
As said above, clowns are very open water swimming fish. They rarely aren't out in the open, unless there is too much flow or they feel threatened.

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are kind of the only good open water fish for the current stocking. They are mean and won’t be pleasant with the others. The firefish will be out more as it gets more comfortable, mine eventually never hid. The gramma should do similar, but will stay close to the rocks.
Only open territory is the sandbed, which can be occupied by a shrimp goby. Stonogobiops tend to be more active than other shrimpgobies. I would wait a bit longer before adding though, as others have said.
they haven't been mean to the gramma is new the firefish and clowns were added at the same time so they are fine with each other the clown swim in the open water same with the firefish but the clowns can be hidey that why I was looking a more of open water swim like a cardinal fish but so far absolute zero aggression the clowns picked the gramma for like 1 hour after he was added then stoped he is like 2in -2.5in the clowns are more like 1.5-2in so they are good thanks for the help do you think the clown could be mean to the shrimp and goby that's the main thing I'm worried about

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t expect the clowns to bother the goby. The will get meaner with age though.
do you think they will bully the other if they are smaller all though the firefish is fast as the speed of light I don't think they will ever touch him and the gramma is way bigger who know

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think they will bully the other if they are smaller all though the firefish is fast as the speed of light I don't think they will ever touch him and the gramma is way bigger who know
At this size no, but when they get 2-3 inches, they will get mean. Especially if they mate.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think i will need to remove them?!?
Only if it gets really bad. There is mixed success with clowns in nanos. All get somewhat mean, few will get to the point of having to be removed though. Mine were mean, or at least the female was. She killed my male, and is now the only clown there.
Solo they are supposed to be less aggressive.
I’d keep what you have and only worry about rehoming if it comes to it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back