OP
Theo15

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is unlikely you'd have an issue from too much Purigen, but you can easily overdo phosphate binders and starve photosynthetic organisms.
Yea I learned that the hard way, killed my torch like that , added too much phosgaurd way to fast , but ok cool everything checks out , im going to fill my canister with biological filtration and loose the filter socks

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically can a tank be filtered with just biological filtration?
My system consist of overflow going into filter sock, protein skimmer, chart and matrix. Nitrates and phosphates have been 0. My lfs tested my phosphate at 2 ppb. I have removed most of the matrix and turned my light for the chaeto off. I am tring to get my levels up without having to dose nitrate and phosphate.

OP
OP
Theo15

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system consist of overflow going into filter sock, protein skimmer, chart and matrix. Nitrates and phosphates have been 0. My lfs tested my phosphate at 2 ppb. I have removed most of the matrix and turned my light for the chaeto off. I am tring to get my levels up without having to dose nitrate and phosphate.
Increase feedings ?

OP
OP
Theo15

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my canister filter there is only floss and it's a pain to clean , I was just going to fill it with matrix

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase feedings ?
Not sure how much my wife feeds during to day. She was giving an anemone a whole cube every day and I feed at lest a cube every evening. I know when I feed it is more than the fish eat. I lost a 4 inch copper banded butterfly right after I put him in. Never found him but phosphate only got to a max of 0.08 and in 3 days it was back to 0. Over feeding doesn't seem to work in this tank. It has a small bio load. 7 fish and about 40 corals. I have 10 more corals being delivered tomorrow and I might pick up a few more fish next week. Cutting back on my filtering and adding more bio load I hope to get my nutrients up soon.

OP
OP
Theo15

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how much my wife feeds during to day. She was giving an anemone a whole cube every day and I feed at lest a cube every evening. I know when I feed it is more than the fish eat. I lost a 4 inch copper banded butterfly right after I put him in. Never found him but phosphate only got to a max of 0.08 and in 3 days it was back to 0. Over feeding doesn't seem to work in this tank. It has a small bio load. 7 fish and about 40 corals. I have 10 more corals being delivered tomorrow and I might pick up a few more fish next week. Cutting back on my filtering and adding more bio load I hope to get my nutrients up soon.
Cut back on water changes ?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back