BIOTA Blue Tang w/ Blemish

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering ordering 2 baby tangs from BIOTA. One Yellow Tang and One Blue Tang. They will be the second and third fish in my tank along with a pair of clowns. Has anyone ordered a Blue Tang with a blemish from them before?

I've read that BIOTA tangs are less likely to fight that much since they are raised together. Am I stupid for ordering 2 at the same time?

I love the idea of what BIOTA is doing and I want to go with captive-bred fish as much as I can. Thanks for the feedback!

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my biota fish this week! I ordered a blue with blemish and a yellow together. They are doing amazing. Do great together, hang out and swim together all the time. My clowns really took to them too, pretty funny to watch them swim as a tight blob together.

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my biota fish this week! I ordered a blue with blemish and a yellow together. They are doing amazing. Do great together, hang out and swim together all the time. My clowns really took to them too, pretty funny to watch them swim as a tight blob together.
That's awesome! So you added a blue (w/ blemish) and a yellow to the tank that housed only a pair of clowns? That is exactly what I am thinking about doing! Can you share some photos of the Tangs? I'm curious about the Blue specifically. Thanks!

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some much better pictures I just took to share with my nice camera, I will try to get them on the computer tomorrow. Here is one I happened to take today, it definitely has a "blemish" but it was way more noticeable when it was stressed out. It has gotten a good coloration on it so far. Just got them Wednesday so we are still acclimating!

But yes I added them to my clowns. I also ordered a Buan sand goby with the tangs too. They were all eating food a couple hours after adding to the tank! I've sworn to myself to never buy more online fish as I had trouble getting them healthy in years past. Not these ones!!
20221231_163217.jpg

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great to hear! I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm considering a Royal Gramma Basset as well.

What size is the tank? 90-gallon here.

Moomee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some much better pictures I just took to share with my nice camera, I will try to get them on the computer tomorrow. Here is one I happened to take today, it definitely has a "blemish" but it was way more noticeable when it was stressed out. It has gotten a good coloration on it so far. Just got them Wednesday so we are still acclimating!

But yes I added them to my clowns. I also ordered a Buan sand goby with the tangs too. They were all eating food a couple hours after adding to the tank! I've sworn to myself to never buy more online fish as I had trouble getting them healthy in years past. Not these ones!!
20221231_163217.jpg
How do you like the Buan’s goby? I picked one up this weekend at a LFS and absolutely love it.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the Buan’s goby? I picked one up this weekend at a LFS and absolutely love it.
I love mine. I enjoy having some activity near the sand bed and rocks. Made some nice little caves under my rocks lol! I had some cyano in my tank and used a little chemiclean to help my tank. Once it started to clump a little, my goby went to TOWN eating it up! Craziest thing I've ever seen, never had a fish eat that bacteria lol.

Moomee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine. I enjoy having some activity near the sand bed and rocks. Made some nice little caves under my rocks lol! I had some cyano in my tank and used a little chemiclean to help my tank. Once it started to clump a little, my goby went to TOWN eating it up! Craziest thing I've ever seen, never had a fish eat that bacteria lol.
I have a Biota Link's Goby as well, and both are the fattest fish I have ever had, and I have never seen either eat a bite of prepared food. I think my tanks have enough biodiversity that they don't even need it!

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I quote you on this? We suspected they'd eat Cyano.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I quote you on this? We suspected they'd eat Cyano.
Of course! I double checked to see if I had any video or photos too, sadly I don't. Be curious if anyone local could donate some cyano to see if I can get some footage of it. Oh and I have also verified mine actively chases and eats pellets.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Biota YT but he’s a huge assh0le - great eater and very hardy but he’s a card carrying jerk. Maybe captive bred fish are less likely to be aggressive but remember they are still individuals!

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see some pics of the Biota blue tangs with blemishes after you've had them for a while. Curious if the blemishes stick around or if they will heal with good feeding and time...

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Biota YT but he’s a huge assh0le - great eater and very hardy but he’s a card carrying jerk. Maybe captive bred fish are less likely to be aggressive but remember they are still individuals!
That's a bummer! Mine is a lover, not a fighter. She hangs out with all the clowns and tries to be around the Royal Gramma Basslet, but the Basslet isn't havin it. The Tang is super active and much brighter yellow than I anticipated.

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see some pics of the Biota blue tangs with blemishes after you've had them for a while. Curious if the blemishes stick around or if they will heal with good feeding and time...
Unfortunately, the Blue Tang didn't make it. He was very stressed when he arrived and only lasted about 24 hours. BIOTA refunded me, but I haven't reordered yet.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back