Biota Cleaner wrasse Vs Cleaner goby

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided against spending over $200 for a 1" Cleaner wrasse after reading that they DON'T eat Ich and in the captive environment of an aquarium the can stress fish by pestering them. Now I see they have Cleaner GOBIES at a much more reasonable price. Never heard of them so does anyone know anything that could enlighten me about these two species?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided against spending over $200 for a 1" Cleaner wrasse after reading that they DON'T eat Ich and in the captive environment of an aquarium the can stress fish by pestering them. Now I see they have Cleaner GOBIES at a much more reasonable price. Never heard of them so does anyone know anything that could enlighten me about these two species?
Neither will CURE parasitic infections. Cleaner wrasse mostly feed on mucus and larger multicelled parasites. I’m not sure what cleaner gobies go for, but they are prone to developing ich, so then “who cleans the cleaner”?
Cleaner shrimp can help reduce Neobenedenia flukes by eating eggs off the tank bottom.
None of these cleaners can get into the gills of typical aquarium fish.

Jay

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither will CURE parasitic infections. Cleaner wrasse mostly feed on mucus and larger multicelled parasites. I’m not sure what cleaner gobies go for, but they are prone to developing ich, so then “who cleans the cleaner”?
Cleaner shrimp can help reduce Neobenedenia flukes by eating eggs off the tank bottom.
None of these cleaners can get into the gills of typical aquarium fish.

Jay
So there's no real benefit in having either of those fish?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The benefit is that you get a fish that looks nice and may help out with disease. They just won’t eradicate a disease.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they can control certain parasites and keep the fish from developing severe infections, they just can't eliminate the infections entirely, and don't work well against protozoan infections. Some public aquariums use large groups of neon gobies to reduce fluke infestations in their displays. I've always had issues with cleaner wrasse pecking at other fish, especially stingrays and bottom dwelling fish.

Jay

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The benefit is that you get a fish that looks nice and may help out with disease. They just won’t eradicate a disease.
Yeah, I realize there's no magic to them just looking for something to support my UV, healthy diet, selcon and cleaner shrimp with disease management. So, do you have a pic between those two? I've seen something that said the wrasses were more dependent on parasites for their diet and wont get enough to eat. I'm looking at captive bred in each instance though and they weren't. I could buy FIVE gobies for what a wrasse costs.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back