Biota Court Jester Goby in BB

sean151

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the Biota fish are raised on enriched frozen and dry foods, what's the consensus on housing them in a bare bottom tank? I would never place a WC one in a bare bottom as it would be guaranteed to be hit or miss. Since it's ready to eat primarily prepared food, in theory it should be okay.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know that the two I got shipped to me about two weeks ago were on the tiny-side of TINY! I’m trying to keep them alive in my DT (substrate bottom), and they are slowly starting to pick at it— but honestly their mouths are so small for the size of the aragonite. Like you I assumed that by being ‘tank raised’ they would immediately know to go after prepared foods, but I am having a tough time with even brine (not Mysis) shrimp, and the smallest flecks of flake food from the bottom of the barrel. I suppose this is a long-winded way of saying don’t assume they will arrive ready to devour food, if they are tiny fish upon arrival. The good news, however, is that each day they are exploring more of the 20-gallon tank, swimming together a lot, and not feeling picked on by other fish. I think they will make it. Best wishes!

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a captive one and felt the sand bed was beneficial as they seem to want to eat small amounts often and forage.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miracles-of-Miracles, I kept both alive, and they are each in a 150-gallon 'Big Boy' tank. I'll have to snap some photos. But's it's funny... they are just now the size I thought they would be upon arrival. o_O

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came in at about 2, 2 1/4 inches, bigger than I expected. Mines in a 90 DT.... so good so far it's been about 3 months since he/she arrived. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back