Biota fish and quarantine question?

arking_mark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just a quick question on whether fish ordered directly from the Bioto website need to be quarantined.

For my latest tank, I only order from quarantined fish providers.

However, since Biota fish are aquacultured, I'm assuming that the fish are maintained in disease-free environments and treated as needed.

Could Biota provide some guidance on how they maintain the fish they sell from their website? What preventative measures are taken to ensure we get healthy fish?

Dcal

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
1621628917685.png

This is from their website but im sure theyll respond to thread w more info

OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
1621628917685.png

This is from their website but im sure theyll respond to thread w more info

I typically do TTM for fish I QT when I don't buy already QT'ed fish...however if Biota is maintaining their fish and treating them I'm not sure that the extra effort is valuable. I'd prefer to just put them in an observation tank prior to display tank.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sorry for the delay in responding, shipments have been crazy the past few weeks. As I wrote in that small FAQ section I do not suggest prophylactic treatments but rather a monitoring period. I try to do a good job keeping our facility as pristine as possible with frequent skin scrapes and gill clippings of our populations in each system so I can be on top of anything if it were to show up. I'm also very transparent with our customers and will not send anything out of a system I suspect poor health of any fish.

I really do not recommend copper treatments because our fish are very young and they can be detrimental neurologically on their development as well as pretty unnecessary. I think far too often we subject new additions to stressful treatments shortly after a stressful shipment rather than letting them recoup in a monitoring tank.

What is your most favorite type of shrimp for your reef tank?

• Peppermint Shrimp

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Banded Coral Shrimp

Votes: 37 9.5%
  • Snapping or Pistol Shrimp

Votes: 33 8.5%
  • Harlequin Shrimp

Votes: 39 10.0%
  • Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Votes: 117 30.0%
  • Blood Red Fire Shrimp

Votes: 82 21.0%