Biota fish and quarantine question?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question on whether fish ordered directly from the Bioto website need to be quarantined.

For my latest tank, I only order from quarantined fish providers.

However, since Biota fish are aquacultured, I'm assuming that the fish are maintained in disease-free environments and treated as needed.

Could Biota provide some guidance on how they maintain the fish they sell from their website? What preventative measures are taken to ensure we get healthy fish?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1621628917685.png

This is from their website but im sure theyll respond to thread w more info

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1621628917685.png

This is from their website but im sure theyll respond to thread w more info

I typically do TTM for fish I QT when I don't buy already QT'ed fish...however if Biota is maintaining their fish and treating them I'm not sure that the extra effort is valuable. I'd prefer to just put them in an observation tank prior to display tank.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay in responding, shipments have been crazy the past few weeks. As I wrote in that small FAQ section I do not suggest prophylactic treatments but rather a monitoring period. I try to do a good job keeping our facility as pristine as possible with frequent skin scrapes and gill clippings of our populations in each system so I can be on top of anything if it were to show up. I'm also very transparent with our customers and will not send anything out of a system I suspect poor health of any fish.

I really do not recommend copper treatments because our fish are very young and they can be detrimental neurologically on their development as well as pretty unnecessary. I think far too often we subject new additions to stressful treatments shortly after a stressful shipment rather than letting them recoup in a monitoring tank.

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay in responding, shipments have been crazy the past few weeks. As I wrote in that small FAQ section I do not suggest prophylactic treatments but rather a monitoring period. I try to do a good job keeping our facility as pristine as possible with frequent skin scrapes and gill clippings of our populations in each system so I can be on top of anything if it were to show up. I'm also very transparent with our customers and will not send anything out of a system I suspect poor health of any fish.

I really do not recommend copper treatments because our fish are very young and they can be detrimental neurologically on their development as well as pretty unnecessary. I think far too often we subject new additions to stressful treatments shortly after a stressful shipment rather than letting them recoup in a monitoring tank.
As I agree to this. I run a 2 week observation period for the big and scary ones that come fast and hard.
then I run a 60 day hypo at 1.009 for parasites. Would you consider this safe for the fish you aquaculture?

animuldoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So far, I’ve only gotten one fish from my local fish store, two corals, and all my inverts from them but I’ve received six fish from you and two other corals and everybody’s doing so well and you’re so helpful. Your information page is the most helpful I’ve seen.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, I’ve only gotten one fish from my local fish store, two corals, and all my inverts from them but I’ve received six fish from you and two other corals and everybody’s doing so well and you’re so helpful. Your information page is the most helpful I’ve seen.
Thank you for supporting us!

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your comment about potential neurological damage from QT protocol definitley caught my attention as I have never heard this before. I’d love if you have anything else to share.

I have a small space that just doesnt support a QT or observation tank, so I basically have two options, buy pre-QT’d from the likes of a TSM Aquatics (which I have used to QT ORA clowns) or right in the display.

I’m interested in one of your Court Jesters and was actually going to request TSM or Dr Reef to run them through a QT protocol. Your comment now gives me pause.

Lastly, just curious where your Court Jesters ship from? I am in South Carolina.

Thanks,
Brent

Last edited:

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your comment about potential neurological damage from QT protocol definitley caught my attention as I have never heard this before. I’d love if you have anything else to share.

I have a small space that just doesnt support a QT or observation tank, so I basically have two options, buy pre-QT’d from the likes of a TSM Aquatics (which I have used to QT ORA clowns) or right in the display.

I’m interested in one of your Court Jesters and was actually going to request TSM or Dr Reef to run them through a QT protocol. Your comment now gives me pause.

Lastly, just curious where your Court Jesters ship from? I am in South Carolina.

Thanks,
Brent
All of our stock ships from our Florida facility.

There's a few discussions on R2R mentioning copper toxicity and neurological behaviors but also UF discusesses that it impacts the lateral line nerves and can impeed development or growth. Copper also supresses their regular immune system from fighting off disease and infection.

The immediate thing we would see when dosing copper is the rounding of the gills which makes them less efficient at grabbit oxygen. If you check gills under scope you can always tell if they've been subjected to copper recently.

Although it's an incredibly important tool for both QT and treatments I think there can be alternative treatments that may be more mild like H2O2 baths + TTM or chloroquine phosphate. There are definitely situations where copper is warranted and needed.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of our stock ships from our Florida facility.

There's a few discussions on R2R mentioning copper toxicity and neurological behaviors but also UF discusesses that it impacts the lateral line nerves and can impeed development or growth. Copper also supresses their regular immune system from fighting off disease and infection.

The immediate thing we would see when dosing copper is the rounding of the gills which makes them less efficient at grabbit oxygen. If you check gills under scope you can always tell if they've been subjected to copper recently.

Although it's an incredibly important tool for both QT and treatments I think there can be alternative treatments that may be more mild like H2O2 baths + TTM or chloroquine phosphate. There are definitely situations where copper is warranted and needed.
I'm a big fan of TTM for home QT. I'm not sure how practical it is for commercial QT.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back