BIOTA Green Mandarin - 32 Gallon Biocube +20G sump

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I got a BIOTA Mandarin for my 32G Biocube. She runs from my acrylic tube when trying to target feed her, but she seems to have gotten round [as far as I can tell]. She was very tiny when I got her and had a hard time dealing with the flow in my tank. I have lots of pods, and [had] a large refugium with chaeto before my Nitrates bottomed out at 0 and the chaeto died off [within the past few weeks].

I'm looking for some feedback on her size and if she looks like she's doing well/healthy weight. She looks to be round throughout her body so i'm thinking that she must be getting more than enough pods. The fact that I can't get food to her through target feeding worries me a little about her long term success.

Thank you!

I put my finger up to the glass to give a little sense of her size/the scale of what i'm showing in the video.

This is how I feed my tank. I use DR G's Caviar, frozen Baby Brine shrimp and Rotifers in hopes that the mandarin will pick up some of them. Even if not, I've read it's beneficial for the corals anyway.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks healthy. I have 2 of them for about 10 months now. I have pods everywhere and replenish them every month or so. I use phytoplankton to feed the pods, which helps to keep the population up. So, as long as you have a healthy pod environment, you should be fine.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks healthy. I have 2 of them for about 10 months now. I have pods everywhere and replenish them every month or so. I use phytoplankton to feed the pods, which helps to keep the population up. So, as long as you have a healthy pod environment, you should be fine.

I've seen no decrease in visible pods in the tank even with the chaeto dying off. I have been wanting to use phytoplankton but I haven't been able to source any live phytoplankton locally. I am planning to buy a package from Algaebarn once my chaeto grows consistently.

Back