Biota Group review - Goldflake, Asfur, and Cortez angel purchases

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

If anyone still follows me I have been trying to source large angelfish (pre quarantined preferably) for a long time for my 500G wall tank. I haven't added much to it in some time and I've had a couple of losses. My angels in there are big and aggressive so I need either several large aggressive additions or perhaps several smaller less intimidating (submissive) angels to grow out. They're impossible to find, so I decided to try a different angle.

I decided to run with some aquacultured angelfish from both Poma Labs and Biota Group. I will focus this review on Biota Group, and make a separate one for Poma Labs. (See this thread about the conspic/blueline purchase from Poma if you wish: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/poma-labs-review-conspic-angel-and-blueline-purchase.953782/)

Let me first say that the customer service at Biota Group was great. They were very responsive. I purchased juvenile goldflake, cortez, and asfur angel from them last week.

All fish arrived FAT, HEALTHY, and BEAUTIFUL. About 1.75 - 2.5 inches in size. All three are eating well in quarantine. Highly recommend!!

I will try to get some photos up soon!

B22D5DB1-282A-4A14-A337-94EECCF21857.jpeg 6C7D0BBB-7159-42D9-ADDE-13F6EE4B8D43.jpeg 85B5BF12-1EB5-48E3-81D1-7C924C42C1EA.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos added to original post, not good ones though

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful angels. It seemed you didn't quarantined the angels from Poma Lab but these biota ones you did. Do Poma lab quarantined their fish?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful angels. It seemed you didn't quarantined the angels from Poma Lab but these biota ones you did. Do Poma lab quarantined their fish?
Tangy, I did one round of double dose prazi and decided it best since they’d not been exposed to other pathogens not to further QT the Poma fish.

As I understand it, biota uses natural sea water thus could bring parasites though many don’t seem to QT from there. I chose to prazi 2x and observe these.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! The Gold Flake as far as I can tell is of pure lineage and not one of the hybrids with the Flagfin or Griffis. Love Asfurs too. Now, Blue Line? :)
The crosses are okay for rarity but haven’t seen many that (in my opinion) were prettier than pure. That’s only my opinion though, some people like the rarity! :)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to say the purebred Goldflake is by far the superior fish. :) The cross looks like an awkward compromise. Pure all the way!
Yes, I agree with you there! Though, part of me would be curious to see what some of the adults look like once mature/large. Some may be really neat specimens but I suspect many others would be quite "odd" ugly ducklings of sorts. Hard to know!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back