Biota Pink Gorgonian Placement - How much will it encrust?

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently started my new build about 2 months ago and have just started putting a few easy corals in (that I actually want) to see if things are going ok.

I purchased a nice rosy pink photosynthetic gorgonian from Biota that came in great health with an almost fully encrusted plug. It’s about 2” tall right now (so fairly little).

My question for those of you who are more experienced is how much do these corals encrust? I haven’t kept a Gorg before, so I have no idea what to expect. Do I need to worry about it taking over my rock work? I initially glued it toward the back of my rock structure where I knew it would get strong flow, but I’m trying to be careful with this build not to put corals on my main rocks that could take over a large portion (e.g. Zoas and montis). I might move it to the sand depending in responses here, but it seems to like it’s spot.

Those of you with experience know how much this guy will spread before growing up?

Thanks for the insight!

03671B91-FCA6-4D71-8EB1-C849D7679A62.jpeg

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won’t encrust too much... you can put corals around the base (not close) but it will spread some, but mostly grow up and branch etc...

For reference a few of these gorgs have been in my tank for 5 years or so... they have at most a baseball or so side base...

CE0C92B9-AEFF-48E1-ABA9-708015C62574.jpeg

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won’t encrust too much... you can put corals around the base (not close) but it will spread some, but mostly grow up and branch etc...

For reference a few of these gorgs have been in my tank for 5 years or so... they have at most a baseball or so side base...

Thanks for the info. I won’t worry about it too much then!

Based on the fact that I have a small Frag. How long until it starts to really pick up growth in your experience keeping a few of these guys?

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to say and hard to tell from photo which specific gorgonian it is, but it appears to be one that grows fairly slow in my experience. I have 7 varieties in my tank and some grow very slow and others very fast.

Give it good light and good flow and it will be healthy and grow at its pace!

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s got to be the best gorgonian collection I have ever seen outside a natural body of water Goskn5! What species is the monster on the left?

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just a few? ;Woot Tank looks great!

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few? ;Woot Tank looks great!

Thanks! Best I can tell it’s similar to the Grubes gorgonian that is commonly sold... I got it about 8ish years ago from a LFS and it has been through many moves and tanks etc... I have cut it down to almost a frag a few times... fast grower for sure...

a few more pics... gorgs are my favorite group of corals... I am planning to add a few more soon
5FD3E42B-4C70-404C-B5DF-0CE7D0BFEB0A.jpeg
CC7DDA88-BC55-4AA6-8CF0-065B4C437134.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back