Biota success rate.

Ls7corvete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering what everyone's success rate is with Biota fish. So far I have ordered three times;
First order was a yellow tang, three pavo and a coral beauty. The yellow tang died, though I attributed that to inexperience.
Second order was a replacement yellow tang, who is still alive and well.
Third order was another yellow tang, a goldflake angel and three basslets. So far the yellow tang and gold flake have died. They looked perfect and were eating, the tang died the first night and the angel the second. No signs of distress. Water tested normal at LFS. Temp and salinity normal.

I have submitted a warranty claim with biota for the last two, though I forgot to take a picture of the angel; I was upset and forgot the photo. I assume my claim will be denied because of this, sad, he was expensive.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you buying direct from Biota? If so are you doing any sort of observation isolation practice? Note that I didn't ask about QT because that is different but if so, what is that?

To answer your question I am close to 97 or 98% with the losses my fault. I am in California so they are shipping East to West which is impressive as most of the packages arrive by 1030 AM. I buy direct and use my refugium as an observation area until I move into the display. I can take it off line from the system if I think there are any issues but again buying direct I feel pretty comfortable with control so do not QT. Another debate of course but this is what I do.

Gold lined rabbit - alive
Pink Square Anthias - alive (I have 4)
Radial filefish - alive
Matted filefish - alive
Starry goby - alive
Links goby - alive

I lost 2 forktail blennies and a matted filefish. All my fault by stupid mistakes. Leaving power head on in refugium or not closing of lines so the fuge is isolated. Matted filefish got pulled into the power head and the blennies went through the overflow in the refugium to the sump. Sump return pump sucked them in and one made it through safely to the display and the other killed via the pump. The blenny that made it into the display lived for a few months but died. My guess is again the return pump hurt it and I didn't notice it.

With regards to Biota I know most of the fish may be on the smaller size so I always isolate in my refugium. As long as I remember to close the plumbing lines and turn off or protect the one power head it works out for me. I also keep on hand the food, if documented, Biota feeds plus mine. I'll feed a few times a day, single food, and observe what it eats. Note it down then try the next food. This way I know what they are eating before I place into display. Also I can see how fast they eat or swim. I have a few larger fish, butterflies, that are fast so always good to get an idea.

Once sized enough to manage flow then they go into the display via an acclimation box. Again seems to work for me and I've had really good luck. The main thing I have found is to prepare for fish of smaller size and have food on hand. I do not QT with harsh chems captive bred/raised fish and only buy direct.

eraser2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I ordered two yellow tangs, but they did not made, with my credit I ordered two mandarin that are doing great. Also I ordered one more yellow tang and file fish, both are doing good so far

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two biota fish, a multibar angel and a marine beta and both are doing great.

However, I bought these in person. One at MACNA and one at the LFS.

I try to buy in person as I have too many DOAs or fish arriving poorly with shipped fish. I don’t mean from biota but everywhere. I think the postal route to my house must be rough or something. It wasn’t an issue when I lived in a different state.

How are you acclimating the fish?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have had great success with the exception of a Mandarin (2-3 days) and any losses were long term, and blennies for the after 6 to 8 months

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 multibar recently. Both did not make it. 1 didn’t eat and last 2 weeks. The other ate well but on the third week out of nowhere died. They were in an observation tank. Since they died outside the 7 day warranty I am left with nothing.

GardenofZoas20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% successful. So far:
(2) Yellow Tangs
(1) Male Mandarin
(3) Court Jester Goby
All arrived in perfect condition and ready to eat (frozen and TDS pellets). Could not be more happy with them - outstanding colors and grow fast. Now I did manage to loose (2) of the court jesters after several weeks/months - it was my fault as I didn't consider that they are small enough to swim into my pump to hide during an off cycle and did not survive the pump restarting. I now leave the pump on 100% and no more issues (plus it grew bigger).

Last edited:

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issues 100% success rate with Biota.

-- 1 Hawaiian Yellow Tang
-- 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish
-- 2 Blue Mandarins (I purchased them as a pair)
-- 1 Duncan Coral

The Mandarins were raised on pellet food at Biota and continue to eat pellet food in my tank. They were tiny when I got them and growing much larger now.

I am pleased with everything I purchased at Biota.

OP
OP
L

Ls7corvete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two biota fish, a multibar angel and a marine beta and both are doing great.

However, I bought these in person. One at MACNA and one at the LFS.

I try to buy in person as I have too many DOAs or fish arriving poorly with shipped fish. I don’t mean from biota but everywhere. I think the postal route to my house must be rough or something. It wasn’t an issue when I lived in a different state.

How are you acclimating the fish?
Float to acclimate temperature, then slowly adding tank water to the bag prior to transfer.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float to acclimate temperature, then slowly adding tank water to the bag prior to transfer.

You don’t want to acclimate shipped fish slowly. The pH drops in the bag since it is enclosed…this makes ammonia less toxic but when you add tank water or open the bag, pH rises and ammonia becomes toxic again.

Idk how long slowly is but you want to get them out of that water. I try for no more then 30 min once opened but honestly most of the time I take them out and add to tank directly after the float. If salinity is very different (some places run low salinity), then I add the fish to fresh salt water (just add some RODI water to bring it down to match) in a bucket with an airstone and acclimate from there. I don't believe this is an issue with Biota though.

Reef Beef recently had a talk on this actually.

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4.5/5

2x blue mandarin - both doing well
2x court jester goby - one doing well, other sold as it was bullied
1x cleaner wrasse - also doing well

If this is for shipped orders you've broken their acclimation procedure. As above said, never drip acclimate shipped fish as they will get ammonia poisoning and its explicitly said on Biotas acclimation guide not to drip acclimate:

Last edited:

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that have success with biota fish do you guys observe or quarantine them in a separate tank or do they go directly into the display tank?

freepizza80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that have success with biota fish do you guys observe or quarantine them in a separate tank or do they go directly into the display tank?
I've been in reefing for over 10 years and have never quarantine a fish. I used to lose fish in the beginning but once my tanks established, never lost a fish for unknown reason. I think if your tank is well established and you don't have of those AH fish, you won't loose any.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have done it both ways but my QT tank for them is actually a full on smaller display... aged live rock and all that. So it is a chill place for them to hang out. The main reason I put them in the observation tank is these fish often come in TINY!!! They sometimes need a bit of TLC and time to grow before meeting the bigger established tank mates. My mulitbar and especially needed somewhere to eat undisturbed and to make sure it was getting enough as it's mouth is tiny and it has kind of needed special tiny foods to pick at.

OP
OP
L

Ls7corvete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want to acclimate shipped fish slowly. The pH drops in the bag since it is enclosed…this makes ammonia less toxic but when you add tank water or open the bag, pH rises and ammonia becomes toxic again.

Idk how long slowly is but you want to get them out of that water. I try for no more then 30 min once opened but honestly most of the time I take them out and add to tank directly after the float. If salinity is very different (some places run low salinity), then I add the fish to fresh salt water (just add some RODI water to bring it down to match) in a bucket with an airstone and acclimate from there. I don't believe this is an issue with Biota though.

Reef Beef recently had a talk on this actually.
Yea I was pretty upset and forgot a picture too so they will probably decline my request for warranty. We will see how good their customer service is.

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% success rate with Biota.

They really really know how to pack a fish.

At MACNA this year they had one of they Yurples go missing why shipping UPS. Fish showed up a day late with no side effects. Every day it turns more beautiful.

I've ordered a pair of mandarins, radical filefish, matted tile fish and most recently a trio of dejongi. 100% success rate.

My trio actually arrived late 3:30 p.m. the next day on one of our colder days here in Wisconsin. Water temp was still around 70 degrees. Dejongi we're all packed with hiding tubes.

I QT all of my fish except Biota's. However I never never introduce any fish without a day or two in a acclimation box.

Also as may have said and Biota even stated on their website. I only acclimate; i.e float bag for 10 to 15 minutes. Then into a net into the acclimation box.

Honestly Biota's shipping in my opinion is better than most wholesale distributors, plus you get a warranty and a captive bred fish.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They go right into my tank for me. I let the bags float for about 15 minutes to get the temperature to the same. Then I open the bags in a big bowl and net the fish out of the bowl and into the tank.

OP
OP
L

Ls7corvete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting to hear from Biota about DAA, but I am determined to try again. Plan for next time is to test for copper, dose prime in the bags, float for 30 minutes then direct transfer to QT. My QT is observation only, no medication.

Also, Medium tangs only. Small is just to small.

Do you think biota would accept a request to have the fish fed well prior to shipping? I know most shippers fast them prior to avoid fouling the bags.

Back