OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
of these fish eating in less than 5 minutes of being in the tank. My only gripe would be they are really really small fish I knew they were small but these are like infants.... Sorry to hear about yours if I had to guess I would say maybe some crazy temp swings during shipping. My boxes were very hot inside even though they had cooling packs. The weather has been really hot then it rains and cools down 15-20 degrees here in miami.

Actually now that you mentioned it there was no cooling or heating packs in my packaging. It never dawned on me but it was just the yellow tang in it's bag in a Styrofoam box. No temp regulating packs stuck on to the lid, sides or bottom.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is always shipping stress even if things go perfectly
But not peracute, fatal stress. The gold standard is less than 3% mortality on routine shipments.
Jay

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bet that 95% of people here would say 1.025 not normal. Most fish vendors keep lower to save a lot of money on salt. But either way if yours was 1.025 when you got it then that is great. I assume you measured it yourself when you first opened the bag.
On Biotas site it does say they do not recommending drip acclimation just the float method so I would also assume 1.025 is the salinity. I just purchased a yellow tang from them I'm anxious to see the salinity now.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Biotas site it does say they do not recommending drip acclimation just the float method so I would also assume 1.025 is the salinity. I just purchased a yellow tang from them I'm anxious to see the salinity now.

When do you expect your YT... will be interested to find out if temp regulating measures were taken in your shipment (mine did not) and salinity level.

My tang is supposed to ship today and arrive tomorrow... nervously waiting on the tracking email now, took the day off work tomorrow to give it my full attention.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok out of curiosity post back here

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When do you expect your YT... will be interested to find out if temp regulating measures were taken in your shipment (mine did not) and salinity level.

My tang is supposed to ship today and arrive tomorrow... nervously waiting on the tracking email now, took the day off work tomorrow to give it my full attention.
My arrival date is next Tuesday. Weather here in Delaware is supposed to be a high of 79 so I shouldn't have to worry temp a whole lot. I'm guessing they will ship with a cooling pack I'm not really sure. I have a 20 gallon QT setup and ready to go really hoping its not the size of a quarter when it arrives.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My arrival date is next Tuesday. Weather here in Delaware is supposed to be a high of 79 so I shouldn't have to worry temp a whole lot. I'm guessing they will ship with a cooling pack I'm not really sure. I have a 20 gallon QT setup and ready to go really hoping its not the size of a quarter when it arrives.

I'm assuming it will be similar to my first one which was more along the lines of a half dollar size.

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming it will be similar to my first one which was more along the lines of a half dollar size.
My original plan was to QT one or two other fish with it but maybe not due to their small size. I guess I could potentially QT a shrimp goby with it.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’d listen to that inner voice that’s saying ‘tap the brakes a bit’— I think you’ll be happier in the long run.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course this would happen…

A5E62B76-63A2-43A9-9616-4C9C8785B4EF.jpeg

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course this would happen…

A5E62B76-63A2-43A9-9616-4C9C8785B4EF.jpeg
Oh no. I've never had a fish delayed, only corals. I've heard of fish surviving an extra day, so maybe it will be okay. Do you know where it was delayed? I had corals delayed at a location 2 hours from me, so I drove down and got them. Thankfully both FedEx and UPS know me as the fish lady, so they are pretty accommodating.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no. I've never had a fish delayed, only corals. I've heard of fish surviving an extra day, so maybe it will be okay. Do you know where it was delayed? I had corals delayed at a location 2 hours from me, so I drove down and got them. Thankfully both FedEx and UPS know me as the fish lady, so they are pretty accommodating.

there was a delay going from FL to KY hub. It’s now in flight here. I’m going to try to pick it up from the local hub once it gets here hopefully before noon because my hub has some crazy hours of 10am to 2pm.

issue is I took the day off for this so I won’t be able to be here tomorrow for the delivery if I’m unable to pickup today.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well correction, just got off the phone with UPS and it hasn’t even left KY yet and according to them won’t reach my hub until tomorrow morning.

horrible first experience for me ordering fish online for the first time not at Biotas fault at all but not sure I’m going to do this again. I’m now in the hole for the YT plus additional $35 shipping I paid for the replacement that will probably be DOA.

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well correction, just got off the phone with UPS and it hasn’t even left KY yet and according to them won’t reach my hub until tomorrow morning.

horrible first experience for me ordering fish online for the first time not at Biotas fault at all but not sure I’m going to do this again. I’m now in the hole for the YT plus additional $35 shipping I paid for the replacement that will probably be DOA.
Well this stresses me out.... Hopefully everything works out. If mine doesn't arrive on time next Tuesday I'm screwed.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this stresses me out.... Hopefully everything works out. If mine doesn't arrive on time next Tuesday I'm screwed.

I hope you have no hiccups. Let us know how it goes.

its stressful but Jake and Madison at Biota have been phenomenal with communication. Got back to me early this AM about the delay to keep in touch as soon as shipment is delivered on health of fish.

UPS and FedEx on the other hand need to rename their next day service to: “Next Day Air guaranteed half the time”.

Back