Biota Yellow Tang death

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like that, replacement was DOA thanks to UPS. I tried, saw it arrived at local sorting facility at 6pm yesterday. I gambled and drove out to find out pickup hours are just 10am to 2pm. How useless is that.

A8824ACB-D2C9-4DC6-9833-F993E948A0A5.jpeg

Did you float the bag anyway? Just taking a moment for a PSA that everyone should remember to float dead looking fish to see what happens when the water temp goes up. I have a cleaner wrasse happily chugging about my tank that looked deader than a door nail when it arrived.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you float the bag anyway? Just taking a moment for a PSA that everyone should remember to float dead looking fish to see what happens when the water temp goes up. I have a cleaner wrasse happily chugging about my tank that looked deader than a door nail when it arrived.

Did not want to put that bag anywhere near my tank as it was compromised, no air left and water leaking everywhere.

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not want to put that bag anywhere near my tank as it was compromised, no air left and water leaking everywhere.
Ugh that sucks - twice in September I have had a FedEx guy hand me a dripping box and say “Sorry!” then run off.

makes me really wish I had an LFS I could get fish from

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh that sucks - twice in September I have had a FedEx guy hand me a dripping box and say “Sorry!” then run off.

makes me really wish I had an LFS I could get fish from

Good luck, hopefully you don't have any issues. The Tangs do come in small but I don't see that being an issue. Hopefully I hear back from Biota but communication has slowed down drastically all of a sudden and I don't know what the next step is.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once received fish at 1.006 salinity.. yup. The shipper accidently left the RODI on in the shipping water container. ALWAYS TEST THE BAG!!!

Sadly it messed up the buoyancy of the wrasse and it eventually perished but crazy enough, the copperband lived. I brought it up to 1.009 fairly quickly since that is what I know to be survivable. Then I let it evaporate slowly and topped off slowly with salt for several WEEKS in a QT tank to get the copperband to reef salinity. That fish is still with me. Tough thing!

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Biota came through, got store credit for initial amount. I'm going to lay low on purchasing fish, may just use this to get some coral from them.

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Biota came through, got store credit for initial amount. I'm going to lay low on purchasing fish, may just use this to get some coral from them.
Well mine is out for delivery expected time is noon. Fingers crossed for a healthy fish. QT tank is prepared and waiting.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well mine is out for delivery expected time is noon. Fingers crossed for a healthy fish. QT tank is prepared and waiting.

Hopefully all is well. I'm sure it will be, plus it helps that you're much closer to their shipping facility then I am. I ended up using the store credit for 3 pieces from their aquaculture selection.

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully all is well. I'm sure it will be, plus it helps that you're much closer to their shipping facility then I am. I ended up using the store credit for 3 pieces from their aquaculture selection.
So far all is well. Tang is small about the size of a half dollar. I also ordered a peppermint shrimp to qualify for free shipping and they sent 4 of them also really small. I don't think the shrimp will make it in any of my displays so I'm trying to think what I want to do.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far all is well. Tang is small about the size of a half dollar. I also ordered a peppermint shrimp to qualify for free shipping and they sent 4 of them also really small. I don't think the shrimp will make it in any of my displays so I'm trying to think what I want to do.

Glad to hear, as long as it starts accepting food you should be ok. As for peppermint shrimp, I hear they could go after corals but I've never tried so I don't know. Maybe you can throw them in your sump area?

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear, as long as it starts accepting food you should be ok. As for peppermint shrimp, I hear they could go after corals but I've never tried so I don't know. Maybe you can throw them in your sump area?
I've always kept them in my tanks and never have had an issue. I will probably keep 1 and give the other 3 away. Tang is in QT lights out for now I will try feeding tonight.

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a biota YT last week. I scheduled the delivery for today. It shipped yesterday evening and arrived as planned. Salinity in my QT was 28ppt And the YT came shipped in 31ppt. I floated the bag and then poured 100ml-300ml QT water in the bag at a time every five mins salinity was within 1ppt. Took about 20 minutes total.
YT is swimming around happily with a tomini tang in my QT. Eating and looks fantastic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a biota YT last week. I scheduled the delivery for today. It shipped yesterday evening and arrived as planned. Salinity in my QT was 28ppt And the YT came shipped in 31ppt. I floated the bag and then poured 100ml-300ml QT water in the bag at a time every five mins salinity was within 1ppt. Took about 20 minutes total.
YT is swimming around happily with a tomini tang in my QT. Eating and looks fantastic

Very nice, odd yours came in a tad low on the salinity then some of ours but it already has good coloration all things considering it arrived today and is small.

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the yellow tang has made it through the first 24 hours. Hanna checker said the salinity was 1.024 so I just temp acclimated and dropped it in. So far it is very very shy but i did catch it nibbling at some flake food. My goal is to hold it in my QT for a while to fatten him and make sure he can handle himself before going in the display. As far as the peppermint shrimp I saw my sixline zooming around with one in its mouth lol.

brucelee90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the yellow tang has made it through the first 24 hours. Hanna checker said the salinity was 1.024 so I just temp acclimated and dropped it in. So far it is very very shy but i did catch it nibbling at some flake food. My goal is to hold it in my QT for a while to fatten him and make sure he can handle himself before going in the display. As far as the peppermint shrimp I saw my sixline zooming around with one in its mouth lol.
Any sign for HLLE or fin rot on your new yellow tang?

brucelee90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my Biota yellow tang who's also in its last breath. Not expecting the poor guy to survive. Based on your experience, if you order a $149 replacement YT and some other stuff to reach the $150 free shipping threshold, does it qualify for free shipping again? Thanks!

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my Biota yellow tang who's also in its last breath. Not expecting the poor guy to survive. Based on your experience, if you order a $149 replacement YT and some other stuff to reach the $150 free shipping threshold, does it qualify for free shipping again? Thanks!

Well it's a bit different. I used Biota's DOA policy so they send you a replacement free of charge if you're within the 7 day period, you just need to pay for shipping ($35). It's a bit different then a normal puchase, they send you a link to pay for it.

brucelee90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's a bit different. I used Biota's DOA policy so they send you a replacement free of charge if you're within the 7 day period, you just need to pay for shipping ($35). It's a bit different then a normal puchase, they send you a link to pay for it.
I see. Thanks!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a large shipment from Biota (no tangs) and everything except two little gobies were fine and are still thriving months later. Sometimes, shipping is just hard on them. Especially UPS. I had a guy flip the box around in the air while I watched and it said live animals this side up all over it. Some people.

Ever see Ace Ventura imitate the delivery guy. So accurate it is sad.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back