Biota yellow tangs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a new world, Yellow Tangs from Biota last week were at $109.00. I'd rather support tank-raised Yellow Tangs than wild-caught. But that's me, not that I like to throw money away.
Many consumer goods are either hard to find or getting more expensive.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a crocea clam directly from biota and it was great. they started direct selling not long ago and they same day they started I snagged a clam, ha. Was a solid experience.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the website name they sell direct thru?
You used to have to set up an account. You can email Stephanie.

Stefanie Wendell <[email protected]> wrote:
5e97825cf92ea180f2a54756

Good Afternoon! Your Biota simple vendor account has been approved, you are now ready to begin browsing. Make sure to check out the WYSIWYG section on our website, as you may have already seen on our facebook, we just uploaded lots of gorgeous clams today!

Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions you may have, and welcome to the Biota Family!

Browse, Shop, Order:
https://biota.simplevendor.com/

Sincerely,
Stefanie Wendell
Biota Aquariums FLL
Florida Facility
biotaaquariums.com
biotapalau.com
Office-754-206-3359
Cell-302-841-0114

CardiNole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought three of these before (all at once). Two were fine, one should never have been sold. My 4 y/o daughter said it swam funny, and we nicknamed it Timmy. Obviously it didn't live very long. While I generally like captive bred fish for a large variety of reasons, they definitely need to cull them a little before shipping. I would go with a LFS yellow tang.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can order BIOTA fish directly from us as well. When you place a successful order you also receive podpoints which can be used as credit towards future purchases! :D

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received an order yesterday from biota via @AlgaeBarn and can confirm it shipped overnight from ft Lauderdale. 3 fish all very healthy. The rainford goby was actually massive, one of the largest I've seen, 3" and FAT. Wonder if it was part of a breeding pair...

Highly recommended.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time frame of when captive scribble angels may be available again?
Those are only cultured in pretty low numbers so I'd anticipate a bit closer to end of fall/early winter for them. We do have 2 captive-bred gold flake angels in stock along with some captive-bred maculosus for our larger angelfish.

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are only cultured in pretty low numbers so I'd anticipate a bit closer to end of fall/early winter for them. We do have 2 captive-bred gold flake angels in stock along with some captive-bred maculosus for our larger angelfish.
Understood. I will keep an eye out for them.

same goes for the captive majestic angels? Time frame wise ?

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We actually just sold our last majestic last week. They should be back a little sooner likely a month or two out.

ok I for sure will be checking.

I know every fish is different and
Impossible to predict, but are the captive bred angels pretty hardy? I know wild caught ones , like small emperors etc, the 1-2 inch type seem to be fine a few weeks than just wither away. Are these much better? What’s the loss rate if I may ask .

thanks

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I for sure will be checking.

I know every fish is different and
Impossible to predict, but are the captive bred angels pretty hardy? I know wild caught ones , like small emperors etc, the 1-2 inch type seem to be fine a few weeks than just wither away. Are these much better? What’s the loss rate if I may ask .

thanks
The loss rate on all of our animals are incredibly low. So our Florida facility regularly receives our captive-bred fish when they're just post larval (see photo below). When they're shipped even at this stage it's significantly <.005% DOA or DAA rate to our salable sizing for angelfish. Tangs are slightly higher due to their metabolism but we also receive them just post larval usually when they're still fully clear.

Most of the time wild caught angelfish don't do well due to dietary changes (sponges, zooplankton, misc algae) but all of our fish feed primarily on pellet with a frozen food feeding mixed in throughout the day so they're made in aquariums for aquariums.

That being said, they definitely do not like copper so keep that in mind when QTing

BH Young Coral Beauty 4.jpg

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that Biota fish wouldn't need quarantine.

I posted in our introduction thread about how we QT our animals. But I do mention it's generally good practice regardless of what we or generally any vendor says to quarantine livestock.

CoralsAddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one a week ago. Shortly after it got into my tank it started nipping at a Derasa clam. It’s probably an anomaly and I wouldn’t discourage anyone from buying these tangs just based on that video.
However, my bigger concern with these yellow tangs is that most of the ones I’ve seen have very deformed pelvic fins. The tang in the video actually lacked pelvic fins all together.

DibsOnMcRibs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any chance we’ll be seeing CB blue tangs from
you in the future?

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fair amount of experience dealing in Captive Bred Marine Fish. My advice to everyone is, always treat them with the same amount of caution as a wild caught specimens. Do not make any assumptions. I have experience of wholesalers holding Captive bred fish in the same system as wild harvested fish. So beware.

Even a periodic QT (quarantine) consisting of simple observation in a tank using your DT (display tank) water and maybe a small piece of rock or sand from the DT, is better than none. It may also be useful in predicting how the fish will react once placed into the DT without risking the current livestock in the tank. The animal may be susceptible to infections that the current stock have a limited immunity.

I personally also like to use both prebiotic and probiotic foods to help bolster the gut immune system, especially in herbivores.

Scientific research has suggested that these animals can build up a certain level of protection against parasites such as Cryptocaryon irritans ( Mo, Z., Xu, S., Cassidy-Hanley, D.M. et al. Characterization and immune regulation role of an immobilization antigen from Cryptocaryon irritans on groupers. Sci Rep 9, 1029 (2019).)

This is where I agree with @Paul B , although we may have some difference of opinion and approach. I totally agree with the fact that these fish can build a successful defence against illness by maintaining a healthy immune system. Reduce stress and healthy diet containing bacteria. Paul B however is a very experienced aquarist who has both the knowledge and access to the ingredients required for this approach. There are many other options that work on similar principles just slightly different technique.

I would also like to make the point that deciding to use Captive Bred Stock from reputable breeders is highly commendable. The work done by those companies such as @Biota_Marine and others is quite amazing. In my opinion a great leap of faith. The high skill levels, maintenance costs and great uncertainty involved in breeding some of these animals, coupled along side uncertainty of demand. Would make most entrepreneurs shake their head. Thankfully we have people within the trade and hobby that have the persistence, passion and dedication that gives hobbyists an option, that was until quite recently thought to be unviable.

Thanks to the breeders for all of the fish below.

BOTH4.jpg
Captive Bred Scribbled Angel 2.jpg
CB Yellow Tangs SMA.jpg
CB Orchiddottyback 2.JPG
CB Sunrise Dottyback.JPG
_DSC0022.JPG
_DSC0025.JPG
_DSC0019.JPG
MY CP CB.jpg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back