Biota yellow tangs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fair amount of experience dealing in Captive Bred Marine Fish. My advice to everyone is always treat them the same caution as a wild caught specimens. Do not make any assumptions. I have experience of wholesalers holding Captive bred fish in the same system as wild harvested fish. So beware.

Even a periodic QT (quarantine) consisting of simple observation in a tank using your DT (display tank) water and maybe a small piece of rock or sand from the DT, is better than none. It may also be useful in predicting how the fish will react once placed into the DT without risking the current livestock in the tank. The animal may be susceptible to infections that the current stock have a limited immunity.

I personally also like to use both prebiotic and probiotic foods to help bolster the gut immune system, especially in herbivores.

Scientific research has suggested that these animals can build up a certain level of protection against parasites such as Cryptocaryon irritans ( Mo, Z., Xu, S., Cassidy-Hanley, D.M. et al. Characterization and immune regulation role of an immobilization antigen from Cryptocaryon irritans on groupers. Sci Rep 9, 1029 (2019).)

This is where I agree with @Paul B , although we may have some difference of opinion and approach. I totally agree with the fact that these fish can build a successful defence against illness by maintaining a healthy immune system. Reduce stress and healthy diet containing bacteria. Paul B however is a very experienced aquarist who has both the knowledge and access to the ingredients required for this approach. There are many other approaches that work on similar principles just slightly different approaches.

I would also like to make the point that deciding to use Captive Bred Stock from reputable breeders is highly commendable. The work done by those companies such as @Biota_Marine and others is quite amazing. In my opinion a great leap of faith. The high skill levels, maintenance costs and great uncertainty involved in breeding some of these animals, coupled along side uncertainty of demand. Would make most entrepreneurs shake their head. Thankfully we have people within the trade and hobby that have the persistence, passion and dedication that gives hobbyists an option that was until quite recently thought to be unviable.

Thanks to the breeders for all of the fish below.

BOTH4.jpg
Captive Bred Scribbled Angel 2.jpg
CB Yellow Tangs SMA.jpg
CB Orchiddottyback 2.JPG
CB Sunrise Dottyback.JPG
_DSC0022.JPG
_DSC0025.JPG
_DSC0019.JPG
MY CP CB.jpg
Thanks for the accolades Tony! Fully agree with everything said. It does make us cringe a bit when we see our fish thrown into wild-systems. Most of the LFS that have the best success with selling our fish have a separate Captive-bred system that mixes us ORA, Proaquatix, and other similar companies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back