biotope ideas

http://www.marcorocks.com/

sunnyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Does anyone here have any biotope ideas. Biotopes are a big thing in the freshwater hobby but very rare in the marine hobby. I have made a thread before on this but i don't really think they knew what a biotope is.

Biotope- A tank that contains species from a very specific body of water, only containg species from that specific area

Only requirment is for it to fit in a 20

Corals.com

lapin

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would base it on inverts

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
I'll be trying a temperate sea grass biotope in a Waterbox Peninsula 25 soon. I'm lucky as we have extensive seagrass beds in our bay which are uprooted during storm events. Species that I regularly net are weedfish, weed whiting, leatherjacket, and white glove shrimp.

Maxout

fish farmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I've always wanted to do a Florida/Caribbean biotope. Royal gramma, flame cardinal, yellowhead jawfish, etc
Same here, get some good Florida aquacultured rock and let it grow out.

I also had a neat idea for a Sargasso sea tank, floating weed mat with filefish and frogfish.

OP
S

sunnyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Same here, get some good Florida aquacultured rock and let it grow out.

I also had a neat idea for a Sargasso sea tank, floating weed mat with filefish and frogfish.
I really like this idea, however the filefish would not fit in a 20 very well. Im also moveing away from getting a reef tank for a while because I don't want to worry about transporting it when im off to college

eatyourpeas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Does anyone here have any biotope ideas. Biotopes are a big thing in the freshwater hobby but very rare in the marine hobby. I have made a thread before on this but i don't really think they knew what a biotope is.

Biotope- A tank that contains species from a very specific body of water, only containg species from that specific area

Only requirment is for it to fit in a 20
It will make your life easier if you were to base it on aquatic life nearby, that way you have won half the battle in terms of water, access to habitat, specimens. There should be interesting lake and stream options. :)

http://www.marcorocks.com/

Do you own a fish trap and acclimation box or just one or the other?

• I own both a fish trap and acclimation box

Votes: 60 15.7%
  • Just a fish trap

Votes: 46 12.1%
  • Just an acclimation box

Votes: 103 27.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 165 43.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.8%
MAXSPECT