Bipartus Leopard questions

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday. July 4th, one of my bipartus leopards was up very late. Finally saw her in the front of the tank on the sandbed. Knew something was wrong having had leopards for years so I removed her and put her in my 20 gal which also houses our berghia nursery. She wobbled somewhat, found a place to sleep by one of the sand containers. Sometime between Saturday and Sunday she went blind - figured that when she was easy to remove from my DT. In the 20 gal, she is bumping into things. My tankmaster is amazed though at how much she moves her eyes! I have tried to hand feed her but no interest. She does come out for a couple hours to swim but never picks a anything. Today she seemed to have a burst of energy and was swimming around but still hitting into things. As I was watching her, I noticed something coming from her bottom and thought she was pooping but there was some of her dark black blue coat stuck to it. It dropped off and I scooped it in a container to have a better look. Approx 30 min later, she dropped another - same thing with some of her coat.
20210716_135449.jpg
This is what I found...any thoughts what it could be??? Baby, parasite? Wish humblefish was still here to chime in! I have lost sight of the original dropping but can still see the second. The tips glow green when hit with a led.
Top and bottom pic of it.. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!
bsa 20210716_135537.jpg

Last edited:

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first pic looks like either a ball anemone or a hidden cup coral….given that it was attached to a fish, that would lean towards ball anemone (which is actually a mushroom coral), but is very sticky…..I’d guess she ran into it and it got stuck to her.

OP
OP
bsagea

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am truly at a loss as this was not on her when I was observing her. Then it looked like she was pooping something. Then another came afterwards - same exact area. Could they have been inside her??? I don't know.. She has been in a tank that has no corals or inhabitants for 13 days now.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am truly at a loss as this was not on her when I was observing her. Then it looked like she was pooping something. Then another came afterwards - same exact area. Could they have been inside her??? I don't know.. She has been in a tank that has no corals or inhabitants for 13 days now.
Ball nems are really common hitchhikers.

OP
OP
bsagea

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could understand if this tank ever had corals but it's been up for 2 1/2 yrs with no corals or anything else in it for that matter except the berghia nursery which is self contained. Last fish in QT was a purple tang last year so I can't imagine where they came from especially when she was swimming and they weren't on her. I've had her for a couple months. She came with the other one I have from a friend's tank that was being taken down.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could understand if this tank ever had corals but it's been up for 2 1/2 yrs with no corals or anything else in it for that matter except the berghia nursery which is self contained. Last fish in QT was a purple tang last year so I can't imagine where they came from especially when she was swimming and they weren't on her. I've had her for a couple months. She came with the other one I have from a friend's tank that was being taken down.
Did you use live rock? They typically come in on that.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No...dead dry rock that I've had for years. After experiencing a fireworm, I will never use live rock again to set up any tank.
I wouldn’t think it would survive being eaten. It must have transferred in from something. Possibly on the fish itself, but I’ve never heard of that. ‍

Last edited:
OP
OP
bsagea

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely strange! There was nothing on her when moved I her. I did a 10 minute dip in Hydroplex and there was nothing. I have been watching her closely for 13 days. Nothing has ever been on her. Very odd that she expelled (?) 2 of them. My tankmaster saw it as well - not just me. He told me it reminded him of decades gone by when he raised freshwater mollies. I have no idea and sadly no real improvement in her.
bsa

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back