Bipolarbear's new kitchen (with 225gal peninsula)

OP
Bipolarbear

Bipolarbear

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The next major milestone was getting a fish order in from Marine Collectors. We had ordered a collection of tangs and wrasses from the site back in January but the first batch of fish didn't arrive till April. The 2 clowns were doing great and even though the cycle was complete I was still testing nightly for Nitrate which was reading 0. During this time I had been dosing Microbacter 7 and Microbacter Clean every week which was really helping fight any algae outbreak.

The tangs arrived and after acclimation everything seemed to be fine. We added a White Tail Tang, a Blue Tang and a Blonde Naso Tang.

The stress of shipping must have been a high as we lost the Naso Tang that night. The next morning we found her in the rock where she had gone to sleep =(

20210413_120442_HDR.jpg
20210413_120457_HDR.jpg
20210413_120639.jpg
20210413_120738.jpg

RAP
OP
Bipolarbear

Bipolarbear

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The great news was working with Marine Collectors was easy and I decided to replace the Naso with additional wrasses. A few weeks later the wrasses came in:
Rhomboid
Melanarus
Pin Tail Fairy
Rosy Scale Wrasse x2

The Rhomboid was very stressed out, and after 3 days of not eating I was finally able to catch him and put him in the sump to isolate him and get him to start eating. After a week of feeding him in isolation and making sure he was doing well I was able to put him back in the display tank and I still have him to this day.

Unfortunately the shipping stress also impacted the Melanarus wrasse really bad. This Melanarus and the following replacement Marine Collectors sent us died in the first 24 hours. I contacted Eliot directly to review the tank and the setup before the 3rd Melanarus was sent. We started by isolating the 3rd Melanarus in the sump for observation before adding him into the display, and after a week we were able to successfully transfer him into the display tank.

At this point we decided that any fish that was shipped to us would first need to be in isolation in the sump to reduce stress and allow us to feed without the fish having to fight for food.
20210427_160302_HDR.jpg

Drew Hitt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
By the end of September I was able to get the tank sanded and polished, we also installed the luxury vinyl plank flooring ourselves to save some money. October would come and go without any work on the kitchen as we were still waiting on the cabinets. We wouldn't see cabinets in the house until the week before Thanksgiving.

20200912_134557.jpg

20200912_143348_HDR.jpg
20200912_191457.jpg
20200920_171011.jpg
I can totally relate to that picture of your daughter on your back. I’m assuming she is the one with autism? I have two children that have high functioning autism, 5 children all together… jumping on my back while working seems to be just the right thing to do for any of them LOL

OP
Bipolarbear

Bipolarbear

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I can totally relate to that picture of your daughter on your back. I’m assuming she is the one with autism? I have two children that have high functioning autism, 5 children all together… jumping on my back while working seems to be just the right thing to do for any of them LOL
Yeah that's her, she is getting to the point where she is almost too big to pick up but still demands I lift her up every day.

Sucks to think about the fact that one day she will be too big for piggyback rides or jumping hugs...

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 160 41.6%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 35 9.1%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 168 43.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 12 3.1%
Legendary