Bird's-nest commensal crab and tiny shrimp/lobster ID pls

spacey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mail ordered a small Bird's-nest colony from Live Aquaria few months ago. After couple weeks I noticed movement. Then few weeks later even more movement in diff places at the same time. Finally was able to take a decent video.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, that's really cool. The crab looks a bit like an acropora crab? Though evidently a confused one. Little, harmless crabs that don't get to trouble-makin' size.
The shrimp almost looks like some sort of pistol shrimp to me, which is interesting. I would try to gently approach the shrimp with a pipette or similar, and see if you hear any clicking in response. It may shoot at the pipette.

You should probably try target-feeding both, to be sure they get enough to eat. Neat little critters.

OP
OP
spacey

spacey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that's really cool. The crab looks a bit like an acropora crab? Though evidently a confused one. Little, harmless crabs that don't get to trouble-makin' size.
The shrimp almost looks like some sort of pistol shrimp to me, which is interesting. I would try to gently approach the shrimp with a pipette or similar, and see if you hear any clicking in response. It may shoot at the pipette.

You should probably try target-feeding both, to be sure they get enough to eat. Neat little critters.
I was able to find a description of the crab somewhere a while back but can't find it anymore, and this one looks like one of the good ones. It has a white carapace and pink underside and claws. They are apparently common commensal inhabitants of birdsnest colonies.

The mini shrimp/lobster has me stumped - never saw a mention of a commensal shrimp :) ... hence my post.

I feed LRS reef feast daily with powerheads on so they get their fair share. In fact they come up closer to the outside of the colony so I can see them better then.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's a type of eusocial pistol shrimp that lives in a sponge colony, and has a social structure like bees. I've never heard of a pistol shrimp that lives in SPS, but I don't see why that can't be a thing.
If it wanted to leave the coral, I'm sure it would. And at this point, I'd say it's safe to assume it's not harming the coral. Heck, even if it did eat a few polyps here and there, I'd keep it anyway- it's really cool. Might be the only one currently in the hobby.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to find a description of the crab somewhere a while back but can't find it anymore, and this one looks like one of the good ones.
Tetralia sp.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tetralia crab and Pocillopora pistol shrimp. You are really lucky. Both are great, and the pistol shrimp is quite uncommon in the hobby Alpheus lottini.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to find a description of the crab somewhere a while back but can't find it anymore, and this one looks like one of the good ones. It has a white carapace and pink underside and claws. They are apparently common commensal inhabitants of birdsnest colonies.

The mini shrimp/lobster has me stumped - never saw a mention of a commensal shrimp :) ... hence my post.

I feed LRS reef feast daily with powerheads on so they get their fair share. In fact they come up closer to the outside of the colony so I can see them better then.
Countless commensal shrimps in the ocean for fire scallops, tridacna clams, sponges, wire corals, anemones, pocillo corals, etc. They are just quite overlooked in the hobby. Very jealous of your Alpheus lottini, I've been wanting that for a while. Studies have shown that the more commensal shrimps or crabs are in a colony, the more likely a stony coral will survive from an attack (like from crown of thorns)

AMBER NICHOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too got one of these little crabs in my recent birdsnest purchase off LA! I have been trying to get a good video but it's so tiny. What a fun surprise

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back