Birdsnest Suppliments

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1907.JPG just curious if feeding my birdsnest will increase the growth rate of it and if yes what type of food worked for you? This photo was taken during morning light cycle so it might appear dark.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dissolved nutrient levels can be just as important as Ca and alk levels or food.

Where do you keep your N and P levels?

Do you have fish?

OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dissolved nutrient levels can be just as important as Ca and alk levels or food.

Where do you keep your N and P levels?

Do you have fish?
If your talking about nitrate and phosphate they are both undetectable on my API test kit I'm sure with a fancy test kit I would get some kind of really low reading but yea I have a couple of fish. I just started experimenting with feeding the a very small amount of zooplankton to see if it makes them grow faster. They are healthy looking corals now but still curious is there's a way to make their growth faster.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise your NO3 to 5-10pmm, PO4 at trace, alkalinity 8-9dkh, good flow and proper par from your lights and it will grow like weeds. One of the fastest growing SPS on the planet! For sure! Lol

Really no AA's needed, coral food..... etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise your NO3 to 5-10pmm, PO4 at trace, good flow and proper par from your lights and it will grow like weeds. One of the fastest growing SPS on the planet! For sure! Lol

Really no AA's needed, coral food..... etc.
Cool thanks for the tips , I have them right in the middle of the wave maker action already plus t5 bulbs but I'll work on my nitrate level a little , it's funny cause back in the day when I started this hobby I could never get my nitrate below 15ppm now it stays near zero.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your talking about nitrate and phosphate they are both undetectable on my API test kit I'm sure with a fancy test kit I would get some kind of really low reading but yea I have a couple of fish. I just started experimenting with feeding the a very small amount of zooplankton to see if it makes them grow faster. They are healthy looking corals now but still curious is there's a way to make their growth faster.

As flippers said, raise those dissolved nutrients up and you'll see more growth....having either one that close to zero is going to restrict growth.

I agree with 5-10 ppm for NO3 as a nice safe minimum range. It should also be fine to raise PO4 as hight as 0.10 ppm...there shouldn't be a need to keep it too restricted since it sounds like you do not have a "nutrient problem". :)

If you decide to raise either one or both, just do it slowly and keep them both more or less balanced to avoid any issues.

You may still get more algae growth....if so check that growth with more CUC, if needed.

Also keep an eye on Ca and alk, since a growth spurt will draw those levels down as well.....especially alk.

If you additionally want to feed the corals (good but probably unnecessary), then anything very small and very buoyant like @Reef Nutrition ROE or baby brine shrimp would be ideal.

OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As flippers said, raise those dissolved nutrients up and you'll see more growth....having either one that close to zero is going to restrict growth.

I agree with 5-10 ppm for NO3 as a nice safe minimum range. It should also be fine to raise PO4 as hight as 0.10 ppm...there shouldn't be a need to keep it too restricted since it sounds like you do not have a "nutrient problem". :)

If you decide to raise either one or both, just do it slowly and keep them both more or less balanced to avoid any issues.

You may still get more algae growth....if so check that growth with more CUC, if needed.

Also keep an eye on Ca and alk, since a growth spurt will draw those levels down as well.....especially alk.

If you additionally want to feed the corals (good but probably unnecessary), then anything very small and very buoyant like @Reef Nutrition ROE or baby brine shrimp would be ideal.
Good advice , thank you

Back