Bistec's CDA 260G 84x36x20 Peninsula Build

bisteclol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank:
Tank will be a custom build from Crystal Dynamics Aquariums (CDA). It will be 84x36x20 in a peninsula layout with 1/2 starphire glass, eurobracing, perimeter bracing, reinforced seams, black PVC bottom, and a 24" external overflow. Deposit put down on 6/11/2021 with an estimated 3-4 month turnaround.

Stand:
Steel stand
Steel cabinet
Canopy
Wood wrap

Lighting:
8x Hydra 32s
4x 36" OR3 Blue+ LED Bars

Sump:
Custom GEO SU46R-PRO-AFR

Return Pumps:
Varios 8 + Varios 6

Wavemakers:
2x Tunze Turbelle 6255

Filtration:
Clarisea SK500 built into the Geo sump
NYOS Quantum 160
Refugium

Aquascape:
4 Bonsai inspired islands. Tank will be barebottom.

ATO/AWC:
1x X2SR Auto Water Change Pump
1x x1 pro t stepper
15G Hydrofill ATO

Other:
Apex + Trident, Aqua Ultraviolet 57W UV, 2x 300w heaters + inkbird controller

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bisteclol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand:
I'm having a friend in the local reef club weld me a steel stand with a side cabinet, canopy, and magnet mounted wood wrap. The tank will be a ceiling to floor wall divider in my great room. These are my terrible mockups in Fusion360 that I provided him to build off of. We are going to do this in phases with the first one being the stand and side cabinet.

2.JPG
1.JPG
3.JPG

OP
OP
B

bisteclol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump:
I'll be ordering from GEO soon on a custom SU46R-PRO-AFR that is modified to fit two return pumps. I plan on having a varios 8 drive the display + 1 reactor + refugium and the varios 6 to drive 1 reactor + UV + fragtank.

I really love my Clarisea SK5000 on my current tank and only considered sumps that allowed a filter roller. I considered Synergy, Trigger, a custom Bashsea but in the end decided on the GEO. I really dig how GEO did the custom enclosure for the filter roller so that all the drains feed it rather than just one.

Here is an example they provided me on what the sump would look like (only change is substitute the varios's for the vectras):
1624033736805.png

OP
OP
B

bisteclol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting:
I'm going with 8x Hydra 32s mostly because I already own 5x Hydra 32s on my current tank. I might revisit this one day down the line but lighting this tank is definitely one of the more expensive parts and I've enjoyed my Hydra32s.

I plan on running this in a 2x4 array with the lights oriented long ways across the tank. They have a 24x24 spread so to cover the 36" width of the tank, I'll have the lights overlap 12-14" towards the center so I can have low enough par on the edges of the tank for mushrooms, chalices, and LPS.

OP
OP
B

bisteclol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wavemakers:
The primary drivers will be the two Tunze Turbelle 6255s; I have the eurobrace drilled on the far viewing end to allow for gyres if needed but after watching a reefer on youtube running them on this tank, I feel more confident that they won't be needed.

The MP40s are going to be carryovers from the current tank and will possibly be removed in the end. I know they won't push water anywhere near the 84" length of the tank, but possibly will keep them in the low corners on nutrient export to help keep particles suspended.

Video of the person with the 6255s (great looking tank):

OP
OP
B

bisteclol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filtration:
For skimming I'm going to carry over my NYOS Quantum 160 for now and upgrade in the future to probably the Quantum 220

OP
OP
B

bisteclol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascape:
I've ordered a 40lb box of two little fishies stax, 4x marco foundation rocks, 25lb of marco shelf rock, and have a box of probably 40lb of dry rock. I will be using Glue Masters thin glue + sand to build the scape

OP
OP
B

bisteclol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO/AWC:
I currently have a mixing station with two 50 gallon drums in the garage located about 100 feet away. I am hoping to be able to run RODI tubing up through my ceiling into the attic and running it to the tank. A litremeter will run the ATO and two versas (located tank side) will handle the auto water changes.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna be a great looking tank. I love my CDA 225 gal tank. I also use Versa’s for my AWC. I would recommend mounting one at the mixing station and one on the tank. It’s far easier for a pump to push instead of pull.

OP
OP
B

bisteclol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna be a great looking tank. I love my CDA 225 gal tank. I also use Versa’s for my AWC. I would recommend mounting one at the mixing station and one on the tank. It’s far easier for a pump to push instead of pull.
Thanks for that tip! Will definitely look into it.

And great looking tank, I've read your build thread many times for inspiration

carlosec83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good planning leads to great results... I too ordered a CDA and received this weekend... I too ordered a GEO custom sump, however, plan on not receiving your sump for a looooong time... I placed my order in May 2020 and still have not received. He originally said 3 months upon order made, so just tell him to give you a proper estimate. Other than that, sump turned out beautiful, on pictures, cause I still have not received... lol... same sump too su46proafr..

Will be following build.

OP
OP
B

bisteclol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good planning leads to great results... I too ordered a CDA and received this weekend... I too ordered a GEO custom sump, however, plan on not receiving your sump for a looooong time... I placed my order in May 2020 and still have not received. He originally said 3 months upon order made, so just tell him to give you a proper estimate. Other than that, sump turned out beautiful, on pictures, cause I still have not received... lol... same sump too su46proafr..

Will be following build.
Yikes I was told 3 months as well; I haven't actually placed my order yet, was planning to this weekend. Might have to pivot to a synergy or bashsea, don't think I could wait a year...

OP
OP
B

bisteclol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deposit paid on the custom GEO sump. Build time is estimated for 20 weeks.

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed an order with GEO for a custom sump for my WB7226. The “reefdudes” model. I placed the order on the 6th of DEC. I was given a 15-18 week build time. I emailed him 3 weeks before RAP Orlando asking if it would be ready, I would just pick it up there and save on the $400 shipping cost. He said he would do his best to knock it out for me. My wife and I arrived at RAP, I asked him if it was finished and he said it was not and to give him about 2 more weeks. I gave him 3 and emailed him again. This time I was told it would be another 30 days due to acrylic shortages from COVID. Tomorrow will be 29 weeks since my order and also the “30 day” deadline since the last correspondence. I have always been a huge fan on his products and NEVER had issues in the past but I have no idea what’s going on!!!

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand:
I'm having a friend in the local reef club weld me a steel stand with a side cabinet, canopy, and magnet mounted wood wrap. The tank will be a ceiling to floor wall divider in my great room. These are my terrible mockups in Fusion360 that I provided him to build off of. We are going to do this in phases with the first one being the stand and side cabinet.

2.JPG
1.JPG
3.JPG
I don't think CDA will warranty your tank unless they build the stand.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, it's a 1 year warranty on the tank with your own stand vs 5 years with theirs
Well.. At least this way they can get your tank out to you faster. I had them do a custom stand and it took over 7 months to get my tank.

OP
OP
B

bisteclol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated my request for the tank to be 22" tall instead of 20". Supposed to ship out in two weeks due to a nation wide shortage in silicone.

Finishing up my aquascape I think I'm about 90% done with it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back