bits of silicone 'chipped' off - is it ok?

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Setting up my 1st tank ever and ran into an issue cleaning a used Reefer 250. It had a ton of coralline on the seams and glass etc... I used a Tunze scraper and got as close as I could and got it mostly off, however after I was done, either the tank already had slight silicone damage or I caused it even though I was careful. A few times I may have gone past into the silicone trying to get the pink stuff off. It seems it's just on the very edges of where the black silicone starts and appears to only be little nicks chipped off here and there. I emailed Red Sea to ask their opinion, but wanted to see what everyone here thought. I'm new to this so I'm not sure, but I'm thinking it should be ok as it doesn't go far and the bead isn't lifted off the glass. BTW, the spots you see in the middle of the black silicone are just loose coralline I haven't fully wiped off (ie they aren't bubbles or under the seam).

1601927235670.png
1601927237503.png

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry about it, but you could run a bead of silicone up the seam if it would give you peace of mind

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 9 month old Reefer 250 and my silicon is looking like that even though I have avoided it with the Tunze cleaner only using the rounded edge in the corners. Not real happy about it, Next tank will be by someone else.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back