Bizarre assortment of some sort of soft coral eating parasite.

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing a water change and noticed that there was some parasite in my frag sized green stare encrusting polyps, so I performed a coral dip with iodine twice and tried to scape off as many parasites as I could. After dumping the dirty water in the sink, I was horrified by what I saw and took a video (attachment 1).
Today I saw a small infested piece of the GSP that had been sitting in sink water all night. The little parasites were still alive and could slowly move around the piece of GSP they were in.
they look like the same creatures that infected my other tank(killed a leather in the process of trying to remove the parasites. Also killed a turbo snail by getting under its shell, which irritated the snail increasingly over the next few days. The parasite was visible in a flap between the snail’s foot and shell. Over time the snail became more lethargic, coiled itself into the shell rapidly to try and force the parasite out until one day the snail fully retracts. The day after this the shell looks empty but there is still some organism inhabiting the shell that has created a sort of membrane at the shells opening.
The same live rock was used in both tanks referred to.
Any ideas what they could be?

Attachments

• IMG_5544.MOV
    47.5 MB
OP
OP
K

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Discotu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to tell from this video. if you still have the critters, put them in a clear glass and take close up pics through the glass.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back