BJD? or i just pray is a case of dead torch tissue?

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys could help me to identify this?
Although I'm prepared for the worst, i believed it is BJD, and i just throw the whole piece out.

I got this piece of torch closed to a month.
Last week i notice some exposed skeleton, but it was clean skeleton without any bjd present.
Today i checked it got worst.

At first i thought of frag it out, but i don't think i want to take any risk, just take it out.

Now, i got a large collection of other euphyllia.
At this stage i do not know whether it started to spread or not, also what else i could do at this point to help/prevent my other euphyllia, in case it is BJD

IMG_20210510_090807_edit_55452004349871.jpg IMG_20210510_092238_edit_55463429193098.jpg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically the infected tissue would need to come off the infected coral and land on another one. Just keep an eye on the remaining corals. Good news is that it doesn’t look like that much tissue came off.
On a side note, since you’re willing to chuck it, you may want to try to save it with peroxide. I’ve had some success with dipping in peroxide, just the infected parts. Rinse with fsw and place in a container. Next day do the same but dilute the peroxide. Do that for about 5 days .

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically the infected tissue would need to come off the infected coral and land on another one. Just keep an eye on the remaining corals. Good news is that it doesn’t look like that much tissue came off.
On a side note, since you’re willing to chuck it, you may want to try to save it with peroxide. I’ve had some success with dipping in peroxide, just the infected parts. Rinse with fsw and place in a container. Next day do the same but dilute the peroxide. Do that for about 5 days .

Thanks for the feedback.
Usually touch wood* if there's some infected tissue that landed on another lps, how soon will i be seeing the infection?
cause this piece of torch is close to another pieces where their tentacles touch each other.

carpetlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback.
Usually touch wood* if there's some infected tissue that landed on another lps, how soon will i be seeing the infection?
cause this piece of torch is close to another pieces where their tentacles touch each other.
mine showed within a few hours. My toxic green hammer recovered completely from brown jelly after a dip of FW and 10% H202. Corals are surprisingly resilient. Also, you can dip the one it was touching just to be safe. (but BJD affects mainly stressed out corals anyways so I wouldnt worry so much)

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback.
Pretty quick. By tomorrow you’ll know for sure.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, i'll keep my finger cross & monitor.
I guess at this point, i just only could make sure no movement to stress out the others.

Say, how long should i fallow my tank before adding anymore lps?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably frag off the top two, they look mostly gone already. I would say get some Cipro but probably too late for that torch but since you have more Euphyllia it might be a good idea to get some just incase you see it pop up elsewhere.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably frag off the top two, they look mostly gone already. I would say get some Cipro but probably too late for that torch but since you have more Euphyllia it might be a good idea to get some just incase you see it pop up elsewhere.
Haha, i already throw the whole frag, not worth for me to risk it.

As for Cipro, i ain't sure my place got that stuff or not, but i do have H202 in place though.
Still checking out on the instruction for Cipro dosage.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, i already throw the whole frag, not worth for me to risk it.

As for Cipro, i ain't sure my place got that stuff or not, but i do have H202 in place though.
Still checking out on the instruction for Cipro dosage.
Unlikely to find it at a LFS. I purchased some to have on hand from Chewy.com in the aquarium section. If you go to the dog and cat section they want you to have a prescription from a vet.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back