Black and purple stuff on my live rock?

alvintran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had these black dots and patches on purple stuff on my live rock for about a week now (1 week after I bought the lr) The black stuff are just small dots spreading on the live rock, while there's nothing on the dry rock. There are also patches of purple on the live rock as well, can it be coraline?
I can't take pictures right now since I'm at school, but I will take some when I get home. Meanwhile, can you guys just throw out ideas to guess what it could be?
Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black may be sponges and the purple may be coraline or cyanobacteria without a pic its hard to say.

jezreex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed black spots on my rocks tonight when I got home if it's a sponge do I need to worry about it? My tank is still cycling at the moment with zero ammonia but nitrite is still .05. Nitrate I checked is .20 I changed water last Sunday but it's still .20 today. Please reply thanks.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same.. one last night after cleaning rock yesterday... now 20 today. Does others look like this as well?

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size of Dip n Dot or various size circumferences of a broke off pencil tip.. from the point to the thickest.
20220627_134534.jpg

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had just cleaned cyano off my rocks with a stiff nylon brush yesterday and these 20220627_134627.jpg had to be chipped/scraped off with the hard sharp corner of tweezers or the brush handle.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI.. that "rock" they are on in the above pic looks like a coral texture because it is a giant 18 inch total width branch of old coral that is a V shape and the size of someone's bent arm in the tank with their elbow in the sand.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody?... Bueller? My pics were in hopes someone knew what they were and to help the original poster to see if that's what he had as well. Any help is appreciated. My tank is in limbo waiting to know if what is populating on my rocks is OK to continue finishing my aquascape and gluing corals.. or should I take this opportunity to remove them and take a course of action to address If needed.
Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a brand new tank and some algae growing. IMO nothing to be worried about. Looks like cyano or sponges to me.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Vermetidae snail.. do you have any corals
Thanks! The tank has been up for 8 months with precycled rock and bio blocks and spheres from previous setup.. so I never hit an ugly phase except some cyano which eco balance seemingly got rid of. I do have corals. They were mostly all on the sandbed because I kept having to put off gluing them to the rock and just got back from vacation and my friend had fed double and I came back to a nightmare and ended up tearing doen my aquascape and cleaning the algae coated sections only to keep as much beneficial as possible..
And then saw these reapear overnight..
I think you are right .. brs support also got back to me today and presumed the same.
I guess I'll just scrape off what I can and move forward. I've lived with them before.
Thanks again!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back