Black and white needles on live rock

ryanwong21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so I’m cycling my tank and today I just realised that these black and white needles(?) have appeared on certain spots of some of my live rock. I’m wondering if anyone knows what they are and if I should be worrying about them? The tank is still cycling. Thanks

2C13180F-E4A1-4DFE-AB14-E0393DB3538E.jpeg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely some sort of tubeworm and probably harmless, I'm guessing though. Can you get a close-up macro shot?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ryanwong21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry but erm I don’t have a better camera than my iPhone so that’s the best shot I hv lol. But thanks for your idea! I’ll definitely look into tubeworms. My parents were so hellbent on boiling the live rock but luckily I’ve managed to reason with them. They were so worried it was hair algae.

Upvote 0

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry but erm I don’t have a better camera than my iPhone so that’s the best shot I hv lol. But thanks for your idea! I’ll definitely look into tubeworms. My parents were so hellbent on boiling the live rock but luckily I’ve managed to reason with them. They were so worried it was hair algae.
Can you zoom in?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ryanwong21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have an update and at night they seemed to have sucked into the rock. It’s morning now and they’re coming back out. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not panic. It's good that you are getting outside opinions. I remember thinking that aptasia were baby feather dusters. Now I know better. These just look cool..... keep watching.

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NEVER boil live rock. It can release toxins into the air, the rock can burst from water trapped inside, and you'll turn it into rotting dead rock. It's dangerous to you and wastes the money you spent on proper live rock instead of dead rock. It's also cruel to any pain-feeling organisms living in the rock.

Hair algae is inevitable. It comes in on frag plugs, snail shells, anything. Don't nuke anything that looks like it.

Read up on the "ugly stage". You can expect to have a surge of pest algae in a new tank, though live rock means you'll have less of that. Let the ugly stage pass. Don't scrub, don't do huge water changes. Make sure your nitrates and phosphates are both above 0 (no nutrients = dead photosynthetic organisms, including corals), check that your cleanup crew is good, and manually remove any long tufts of hair algae that show up. Let your cleanup crew handle it. Once the tank matures some, the pest algae will be outcompeted by and large by non-pest algae, and will stop showing up.

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, possible ID: hair worm? Scroll down to Cirratulids. One is pictured poking out of the sandbed that looks a bit like yours. Perhaps your variety is one that lives in the rocks.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back