black areas on edge of fins

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am currently running a copper band through hypo qt. It has been in qt for about 2 1/2 weeks now and is doing well other then having lymphocystis. That doesnt seem to be improving much but sounds as if there is much to be done other then clean water and good diet. The fish is eating mysis and blackworms. The issue I am seeing over the last couple of days is there are now black areas on the ends of several of its fins. I added the three different meds recommended for infections so I am wondering if that is the proper treatment for the black areas? Not sure what the black growth is.
any help is appreciated
jeff

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,pic's and meds info ,would help.

OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Treating with kanaplex,furan2 and metroplex. You can see how bad the lympho is.
67DA3E47-3561-4B1C-BFFA-4766BD6B8A04.jpeg
971C5734-6CC6-430B-886B-7732ED15D3BD.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are you sure lympho ? Pics a little fuzzy but looks like some sort of bugs.
Although there is no standard form of treatment for lympho, metro/kana wont do much. Ideally , the treatment is optimum water quality and diet.
Jay will probably say the same, but it would be interesting to see what this is under a microscope. Most colleges and universities have a lab with microscope and may provide pics and/or analysis for you.
Possibly Ruby Rally Pro would help this fish a little. Same with Freshwater dip (will rule out flukes)

Is fish still eating (I hope) ?
what test kits are you using?
Are you using RO water or tap from the faucet ?

My best recommendation is to boost immunity assuring recovery is optimized, Provide stable conditions and improved nutrition ( vitamin soaking of foods and garlic extract for immunity health)

Foods:
Mysis
LRS Herbivore diet
spirulina brine shrimp
Scallop
clam
Hikari vegi diet

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see, the pics are kinda blurry. I do see some Lymphocystis, but the other dark spots could be something else. Sometimes, the cells that become enlarged due to lympho can have melanocytes in them, creating a grayish lesion, but not black like this.
Jay

OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tough to see, the pics are kinda blurry. I do see some Lymphocystis, but the other dark spots could be something else. Sometimes, the cells that become enlarged due to lympho can have melanocytes in them, creating a grayish lesion, but not black like this.
Jay
sorry about the blurry pics but the fish is constantly fanning those fins. Its been several weeks with the lympho slowly getting worst. The fish is eating well and acting quite normal. Its just been in the last several days the black areas have formed. I knew from reading that the meds wouldnt help the lympho but was hoping they will help with what ever the black growth is. I have been just using tap water for water changes. It will be 3 weeks in hypo in a couple days. If it would help I can start water changes using my main tanks water and start bringing up the salinity early.
thanks for all the advise
Jeff

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo has been suspected of making Lymphocystis worse, so that is one idea. How low did you go? Don't forget that while you can drop the salinity on fish relatively fast, you need to bring it back up very slowly, over a number of days (5 to 7 typically).

Jay

OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thought I would update. The lympho and black area are almost completely gone. Not sure what did the trick but he is a happy, begs like a puppy fish. Hoping the fish in the display will not terrorize him.
thanks
Jeff

Back