Black Creature on Starburst Cap Coral Frag

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,
So I got this starburst monti cap frag from WWC and since I got it it has had this black dot on the top of it. I did dip this frag but the black dot seemed to be encrusted in the coral. I do notice two what seem like antennae that stick out of the dot but the dot has never moved. The coral itself seems to be doing well (I have had it for a month or two now) as it already encrusted over the plug on one side since I got it. Just wondering if anyone has an idea and if there is anything I need to worry about. I have tried multiple times to get decent picture but with the light and the location nothing is coming out clear.

DA9062A9-ABD0-441F-8E47-53BB62E4D9E9.jpeg A784E8AE-CEB2-4510-81A3-1A6AB861E7A1.jpeg DE558623-AD5D-4B91-A952-EDED6E92057D.jpeg

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that kind of patience where I would ambush it with tweezers but at the same time, idk what it is and this is a very cool thread.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really am embarrassed about the photo quality here so feel free to post any tips for taking photos in the future under AI Hydra 32s as well.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a torchlight or the inbuilt camera light, a little extra light for a bit will be fine. When I try to get really good photos I'll record with the flash on and zoom in and focus, then I go back though my footage and screenshot the best frame I can find of the video.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really am embarrassed about the photo quality here so feel free to post any tips for taking photos in the future under AI Hydra 32s as well.
Turn the lights completely white and/or put your camera app into "pro-mode" or whatever other mode lets you play with the white balance and play around with the slider. Or buy a filter to clip onto your phone.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found many WWC frags to have spionid worms. I think their system must be infested with them. If its 2 little antennae coming from the same pinhole, its spionid.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try a dab of superglue over the hole, but it may just dig out from somewhere else. When the worm gets large, sometimes you can see the tunneling on the surface of the coral, which isn't great looking. These ones are hard to get rid of, but are harmless for the most part.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try a dab of superglue over the hole, but it may just dig out from somewhere else. When the worm gets large, sometimes you can see the tunneling on the surface of the coral, which isn't great looking. These ones are hard to get rid of, but are harmless for the most part.
Thank you I was think about a small dab or coral glue as well

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive come to the conclusion if I want to get rid of spionid worms, I'll have to frag the coral and toss the worm infested area. I've tried gluing the holes and they just pop out somewhere else and I've also snipped the antennae, but then I read they can detach the antennae and regrow anyway.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive come to the conclusion if I want to get rid of spionid worms, I'll have to frag the coral and toss the worm infested area. I've tried gluing the holes and they just pop out somewhere else and I've also snipped the antennae, but then I read they can detach the antennae and regrow anyway.
I have tried lacquering the entire skeleton with superglue with middling success. Have to be really thourough though and not have hermits clawing the glue off

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think about it, why would supergluing the hole of a worm that drills through coral actually work? It made the first hole, it can make another.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It helps to see what exactly the worm looks like. It's much larger than you may expect. I wonder if stabbing a pin through the body would kill it? Obviously this cannot be done with all coral without irreparable damage, but encrusters like my WWC Toxic Waste lepta would recover fine. I think I'll try it.

spionid.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The antennae sticking out of the hole is a strong identifier. If it's a pair of antennae, it's definitely spionid.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking what if you got a 5Ml syringe from those test kits and pressed right into where the Spionida worm hole is then suck it up. I did this on a Goniopora once to clear out a dead polyp that turned into algae. Worked well to suck out the polyp and clean the area with some jetting from the syringe. Although I think this would cause more damage to the Coral than the Pin method, at least the Spionida is out of the tank instead of it potentially being still alive with less body segments.

plopezmd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Hydra 32's as well. If you go to the "lights on mode" page from your app dashboard, then tap on the icon at the top right corner, you can set the spectrum at 14000K and lower the intensity a bit (I usually use about 50% on my tank). You can then get pictures like this:

IMG_0212.jpg

It does help if you can adjust the white balance of your camera to around 7000K.

Paul

Back