Black growths on zoa frag ID

dzeleski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a zoa frag that doesnt want to open very much. It has these 3 black encrusted things growing near them. They seem to have 2 little antennae sticking out at times. Are these vermintide snails/worms? If yes what is my best option, pull the frag out and break these guys off? Crazy glue them? I assume this is also the reason these zoas dont want to open?

Thanks!

20210202_213822738_iOS.jpg

20210202_213837134_iOS.jpg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull the frag and scrape those things off. I’d also dip the frag in something like Coral Rx to remove some of the algae growing between the polyps.

OP
OP
D

dzeleski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull the frag and scrape those things off. I’d also dip the frag in something like Coral Rx to remove some of the algae growing between the polyps.

Removed them. Does Coral Rx remove alage? Ive just been dipping in 50/50 peroxide/tank water. Tank is still new and had a bit of a phos issue for a few weeks before I got it back under control. Much of the GHA is starting to turn gray and die.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Rx will remove the loose algae, but it weakens algae making it easy to pull off. I think peroxide would weaken the algae too. After dipping I use a pair of tweezers to gently pull the algae from between the polyps then dip it again to get any loose pieces off.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back