black hair algae on coral, help

PatrickStarfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can some kind soul tell me how to rid this blackish hair algae growing alongside my poor coral...I'm afraid to brush it off fearing it might harm my coral.

20210730_192755.jpg 20210730_192700.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you can, pull the rock out and scrub off with a toothbrush. Other option is to pull by hand and siphon as your doing so

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual first. Very soft toothbrush, tweezers (fine).

Some CUC members are better at removing algae from corals than others. I've had good luck with Astrea snails for that but there can't be too much algae in the tank or they get overwhelmed or maybe overfed.

The usual nutrient recommendations (low nutrients will weaken the algae allowing for easier removal/management).

More aggressive:
H2O2 wash. Since you can remove and hold the frag/rock, I might also try H2O2 on a brush/swab. Use 3% and dilute it further by 10:1 to start. Apply carefully to algae. Rinse off before putting back in tank.

Most aggressive:
Also some corals can be dipped without too much risk (although there's always some risk). There's a schedule on here from Justin Credabel I've used. Posted link from my build thread.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After removing what you can. I would look into using a q-tip and a peroxide mix 3 parts tank water 1 part peroxide and dab it on the infected area. place the injured part under shade to starve off the roots and prevent new growth.

OP
OP
PatrickStarfish

PatrickStarfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
t
Manual first. Very soft toothbrush, tweezers (fine).

Some CUC members are better at removing algae from corals than others. I've had good luck with Astrea snails for that but there can't be too much algae in the tank or they get overwhelmed or maybe overfed.

The usual nutrient recommendations (low nutrients will weaken the algae allowing for easier removal/management).

More aggressive:
H2O2 wash. Since you can remove and hold the frag/rock, I might also try H2O2 on a brush/swab. Use 3% and dilute it further by 10:1 to start. Apply carefully to algae. Rinse off before putting back in tank.

Most aggressive:
Also some corals can be dipped without too much risk (although there's always some risk). There's a schedule on here from Justin Credabel I've used. Posted link from my build thread

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back