Black ich in the middle of qt process need advice?

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m in the middle of qt’ing some fish a hippo, salicin and two clowns.
They have all gone through antibiotics, prazipro and started copper recently and have now been at 2.0ppm copper “copper power “ since the 31rst.
here’s the deal looks like the black ich made it through two rounds of prazipro so I’m thinking formilyn, as I’ve read that that can be the ticket incase of prazi resistant strains, and I have it on hand.
My question is, I have a 40cube that is being dissembled should I ride out 14 days in copper and transfer tanks into the newly sterilized tank with formalyn to finish off the qt process or a different direction all together.
as a side note I think that velvet is also present but early symptoms have faded once copper reached 2.0ppm
Thx in advance

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are you sure black ich?
These are turbellid worms or anemone sting and I’d imagine no anemone And with prazi, worms should not have survived

OP
OP
H

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No anemone since into qt tank, 3 weeks ago. The sailfin only has one black dot vs the clowns which have a couple. Attached are a couple pictures

Attachments

• 9E2DE84A-CE03-4651-A8D4-1CCA44203F32.jpeg
    9E2DE84A-CE03-4651-A8D4-1CCA44203F32.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 40
  • E861FDC5-504C-4DC2-BC3F-6E4009C4C1D5.jpeg
    E861FDC5-504C-4DC2-BC3F-6E4009C4C1D5.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
H

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or do you think this may be the case
…”Piscinquilinus are relatively large and lie deep within the dermis. As a result, a pigmented dermis may show once killed, resulting in a black spot, regardless of a living parasite within the skin."

OP
OP
H

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other opinions out there not in a rush but would like some help with the identification
Thx all

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the photos I don't see obvious confirmation of black ich on my end. Ride out copper as that battles the more sinister of disease. Transfer to sterile tank once you complete copper treatment. Although 2.0 is technically a therapeutic range for copper power you need to increase to 2.5ppm to ensure its effectiveness especially if you're only doing 14 days with a transfer to sterile environment.

OP
OP
H

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the photos I don't see obvious confirmation of black ich on my end. Ride out copper as that battles the more sinister of disease. Transfer to sterile tank once you complete copper treatment. Although 2.0 is technically a therapeutic range for copper power you need to increase to 2.5ppm to ensure its effectiveness especially if you're only doing 14 days with a transfer to sterile environment.
Was increased to 2.5ppm yesterday night, was Planning on running copper for the full 30 days as long as someone with some knowledge told me that the current course of action was correct.
Don’t nessisarily want to ttm, just a second option

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was increased to 2.5ppm yesterday night, was Planning on running copper for the full 30 days as long as someone with some knowledge told me that the current course of action was correct.
Don’t nessisarily want to ttm, just a second option
Good taking this course.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal can I get your expert opinion on the pics above,
Thx in advance

Praziquantel does not work on turbellarian worms, despite many people suggesting that it does. Prazi treats flukes and cestodes only.

Turbellarians can be treated with formalin and sometimes freshwater dips. Organophosphates also work, but those are dangerous to fish and humans. I suppose clownfish can develop turbellarian infections, but I mostly see it on newly acquired tangs, and sometimes butterflyfish.

As you alluded to - in some cases, the black spot you are seeing is a result of melanin deposited by the fish at a site of injury or infection, there may not even be an active infection at this time.

Jay

OP
OP
H

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the response Jay, greatly appreciate the advice you share with the community!
Would best course of action be to continue copper through its duration, and if spots persist towards the end of treatment and then move on to formalyn treatment to cap off qt?
Thx again

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the response Jay, greatly appreciate the advice you share with the community!
Would best course of action be to continue copper through its duration, and if spots persist towards the end of treatment and then move on to formalyn treatment to cap off qt?
Thx again
Yes, that’s what I would do, watching of course for any increase in the number of spots.
Jay

Back