Black ICH (turbellaria worms) Help.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Naso Tang and a pair of Bluethroat Triggers in QT and I just dosed API General Cure last night. This morning my Naso looks like it has black spots on its face and body. Everything I have researched so far on Black Spot disease points to Formalin and ProziPro as the treatment, but since I just dosed API GC I am not going to add ProziPro at the moment. My question is, will API GC be sufficient for Black ICH or will I need to dose PraziPro next? I know the two are used for the same thing a lot, but PraziPro specifically lists "Black ICH" on the bottle while it is not listed on the API GC box so I figured I'd ask the experts.

Thanks in advance. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Start with a freshwater dip. Assure water is same temperature as the display tank. Mix some tank water in to boost ph or a pinch of baking soda for 5 minutes followed by a formalin bath and continue treating in a quarantine tank. Praziquantel has been used with some success to treat affected fish in quarantine tanks with this issue

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with a freshwater dip. Assure water is same temperature as the display tank. Mix some tank water in to boost ph or a pinch of baking soda for 5 minutes followed by a formalin bath and continue treating in a quarantine tank. Praziquantel has been used with some success to treat affected fish in quarantine tanks with this issue
I've already read the recommended treatment, my questions was...

Will API GC be sufficient for Black ICH or will I need to dose PraziPro next? I know the two are used for the same thing a lot, but PraziPro specifically lists "Black ICH" on the bottle while it is not listed on the API GC box so I figured I'd ask the experts.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Will API GC be sufficient for Black ICH or will I need to dose PraziPro next? I know the two are used for the same thing a lot, but PraziPro specifically lists "Black ICH" on the bottle while it is not listed on the API GC box so I figured I'd ask the experts.
Prazi more effective and reef safe but will also curb appetite of fish and create a temporary haze in the water

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi more effective and reef safe but will also curb appetite of fish and create a temporary haze in the water
They are in a QT tank, so I do not care about reef safe or a haze or appetite suppression or if it is more effective. I am specifically asking if API CG treats Black ICH or not? I guess I will find out in a couple weeks myself, but I figured Someone on here would know off the top of their heads...maybe @Humblefish or @Jay Hemdal can reply to this.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think @vetteguy53081 advice is pretty solid. The problem with GC is that praziquantel isn't very soluble in water (prazipro uses a solvent to help disperse it). If you do decide to try prazipro, you should wait 48 hours and then change 30% of the water, then dose prazipro with good aeration.

Jay

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are in a QT tank, so I do not care about reef safe or a haze or appetite suppression or if it is more effective. I am specifically asking if API CG treats Black ICH or not? I guess I will find out in a couple weeks myself, but I figured Someone on here would know off the top of their heads...maybe @Humblefish or @Jay Hemdal can reply to this.
I missed the question. API General Cure (2.0 mg/L) contain sufficient concentrations of praziquantel. Would I rely on GC= perhaps not. Can you mix both- yes . . . BUT Both Prazipro (2.5 mg/L) and API General Cure (2.0 mg/L) contain sufficient concentrations of praziquantel, so one or the other and my choice is Prazi Pro

As for " so I do not care about reef safe or a haze or appetite suppression" . . . You may want to.
You want to maintain oxygen saturation, appetite, food intake and immunity during quarantine.
If I can make a bold statement: Why bother with quarantine if you are not going to support fish health and stamina ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the question. API General Cure (2.0 mg/L) contain sufficient concentrations of praziquantel. Would I rely on GC= perhaps not. Can you mix both- yes . . . BUT Both Prazipro (2.5 mg/L) and API General Cure (2.0 mg/L) contain sufficient concentrations of praziquantel, so one or the other and my choice is Prazi Pro

As for " so I do not care about reef safe or a haze or appetite suppression" . . . You may want to.
You want to maintain oxygen saturation, appetite, food intake and immunity during quarantine.
If I can make a bold statement: Why bother with quarantine if you are not going to support fish health and stamina ?
My response about not caring is not in relation to actually , "not caring" but to the fact that I have done this many times over the last few years and I am expecting it and know how to deal with it. Insinuating that I do not care about my fish is just silly. I care more about my fish than I care about some people. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think @vetteguy53081 advice is pretty solid. The problem with GC is that praziquantel isn't very soluble in water (prazipro uses a solvent to help disperse it). If you do decide to try prazipro, you should wait 48 hours and then change 30% of the water, then dose prazipro with good aeration.

Jay
Thank you.

Upvote 0

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you don’t have any fan worms you can treat in the DT. I have a infant regal tang. He had black ice. 2 treatments 2 water changes. Black ich eradicated

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As long as you don’t have any fan worms you can treat in the DT. I have a infant regal tang. He had black ice. 2 treatments 2 water changes. Black ich eradicated
With a worm infestation, you just dont treat in a display tank especially since Prazi takes 24 hrs to take effect and allowing another 24 hrs for worms to latch onto other fish. Its effective/ACTIVE for 48 hrs. AND it will not kill eggs unless repeated doses are offered which will reduce oxygen and appetite in a Display setting , why QT is best.

Upvote 0

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a worm infestation, you just dont treat in a display tank especially since Prazi takes 24 hrs to take effect and allowing another 24 hrs for worms to latch onto other fish. Its effective/ACTIVE for 48 hrs. AND it will not kill eggs unless repeated doses are offered which will reduce oxygen and appetite in a Display setting , why QT is best.
2 treatments 2 water changes. Done

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back