Black Ich while in Copper power. *WhatToDo*

Abundant Life Aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow Tang has been in Copper power @2.0 PPM for 4 days now. The tang is healthy, active, and eating aggressively. However, I would say he is breathing faster than he should be. He did have a few (what I diagnosed as) velvet spots the first couple of days but they went away once the CP rose to 1.5ppm.

I have been soaking API general cure + Selcon + focus in his food for 13 days (when I got him in QT)

I have noticed black ich in the last couple of days appear on his skin, and I am wondering what the best course of action is.

Here are my options: *HELP ME DECIDE*

: Do formalin dip? (I never dipped a fish, very inexperienced)
2: Dose Prazi-Pro to the water column. (dangerous with CP because of bacterial blooms?)
3: Remove copper, go to Prazi-Pro and than back to copper. I'm hesitant to do this because I'm pretty sure he had velvet when he came in which he probably still has.
4. Ride it out. Let the 14 days of CP go by and then switch to Prazi-Pro once I set up his new sterile tank.

Thanks! Any information is appreciated!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow Tang has been in Copper power @2.0 PPM for 4 days now. The tang is healthy, active, and eating aggressively. However, I would say he is breathing faster than he should be. He did have a few (what I diagnosed as) velvet spots the first couple of days but they went away once the CP rose to 1.5ppm.

I have been soaking API general cure + Selcon + focus in his food for 13 days (when I got him in QT)

I have noticed black ich in the last couple of days appear on his skin, and I am wondering what the best course of action is.

Here are my options: *HELP ME DECIDE*

: Do formalin dip? (I never dipped a fish, very inexperienced)
2: Dose Prazi-Pro to the water column. (dangerous with CP because of bacterial blooms?)
3: Remove copper, go to Prazi-Pro and than back to copper. I'm hesitant to do this because I'm pretty sure he had velvet when he came in which he probably still has.
4. Ride it out. Let the 14 days of CP go by and then switch to Prazi-Pro once I set up his new sterile tank.

Thanks! Any information is appreciated!
Formalin is going to be the most effective method of treating the black ich.

OP
OP
Abundant Life Aquariums

Abundant Life Aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin is going to be the most effective method of treating the black ich.

Are there any fish medications that have 37% formalin? I'm going out of town tomorrow night so I need to do the bath tomorrow (won't be able to order online). So I need to find something locally.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any fish medications that have 37% formalin? I'm going out of town tomorrow night so I need to do the bath tomorrow (won't be able to order online). So I need to find something locally.
Do you have a second QT that you can match the copper of your current tank to move the fish to after the bath?

You can use formaldehyde at 37% it doesn't have to be Aquarium related.

OP
OP
Abundant Life Aquariums

Abundant Life Aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a second QT that you can match the copper of your current tank to move the fish to after the bath?

You can use formaldehyde at 37% it doesn't have to be Aquarium related.

1. Where can I get Formaldehyde 37% locally (not online)

2. I do, and I was planning on switching over to a sterile system once my 14 days of QT were up. But I don't have the time to do that tomorrow before I leave. I still need to go get a few things for that.

3. Are you insinuating that it would be pointless to do the dip without having a new sterile system to move him to after the bath?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Where can I get Formaldehyde 37% locally (not online)

2. I do, and I was planning on switching over to a sterile system once my 14 days of QT were up. But I don't have the time to do that tomorrow before I leave. I still need to go get a few things for that.

3. Are you insinuating that it would be pointless to do the dip without having a new sterile system to move him to after the bath?
I'm not sure about getting formaldehyde locally. Amazon does carry it.

I wouldn't preform the bath until the other tank is running. You will have to give all the fish that share the tank formalin baths and move them to a sterile tank as if they go back into the same tank they will just be reinfected.

FW dips may provide temporary relief until it you can acquire the formalin.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back