Black Ich (worms) or Bacterial Infection?

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this black ich or bacterial infection?

This tang was best friends with a Foxface they were always very close to each other. The foxface would still often flare out his fins/spikes. Maybe an Edward Scissor hands effect, since they were both friendly to each other? Which led to getting spiked and then infected….

The tang did also have regular ich, which maybe could have lead to bacterial infection when the ich fell off?

Tang went from normal behavior to poor behavior to dead over a couple days.

No other fish in the tank have these black marks. Thanks

8D2B629B-8F9C-4ABC-B37D-E463D37B1B57.jpeg 751F716A-62A7-4520-BC81-78C36E32A2FE.jpeg 2C930C47-2E50-4EC6-8DF7-33C3C770A6A8.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is this black ich or bacterial infection?

This tang was best friends with a Foxface they were always very close to each other. The foxface would still often flare out his fins/spikes. Maybe an Edward Scissor hands effect, since they were both friendly to each other? Which led to getting spiked and then infected….

The tang did also have regular ich, which maybe could have lead to bacterial infection when the ich fell off?

Tang went from normal behavior to poor behavior to dead over a couple days.

No other fish in the tank have these black marks. Thanks

8D2B629B-8F9C-4ABC-B37D-E463D37B1B57.jpeg 751F716A-62A7-4520-BC81-78C36E32A2FE.jpeg 2C930C47-2E50-4EC6-8DF7-33C3C770A6A8.jpeg
While it may be be black ich, it is hard to confirm as pics are extremely blue
Please repost pics under white lighting

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it may be be black ich, it is hard to confirm as pics are extremely blue
Please repost pics under white lighting
I don’t have any. If it was black ich will it be in my system forever until I go fallow or treat with Prazipro?
Even though no other fish have it.
I do think the spots were too big to be black ich.
Ever heard of a Foxface causing damage which could lead to bacterial infection?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any. If it was black ich will it be in my system forever until I go fallow or treat with Prazipro?
Even though no other fish have it.
I do think the spots were too big to be black ich.
Ever heard of a Foxface causing damage which could lead to bacterial infection?
I don’t think this is black ich, the spots are too large. Blue lights makes it tough to see though.
I would treat with Prazipro, with good aeration, 2 treatments, 8 days apart. That will help if it is flukes.
I don’t think this is damage from another fish.
Jay

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the OP said this fish is now dead... which is why he can't get new photos.
I think OP is just trying to figure out what to do going forward... and whether this is going to be an issue for any new fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the OP said this fish is now dead... which is why he can't get new photos.
I think OP is just trying to figure out what to do going forward... and whether this is going to be an issue for any new fish.
OIC - then treating with Prazi would still be best - fallow won't work with other fish still in the tank.

Jay

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd QT all the remaining fish, leaving the main tank fallow for 45+ days.

You also mentioned earlier that this fish also had (regular) ICH.

So you now have (regular) ICH in the tank. and now possibly black ICH, or an unknown fungal/bacterial issue too.

So any future additions may have issues too.

I'd put all the fish through a proper QT, leave the tank fallow and get rid of these issues. Then carefully QT everything going forward.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Is this Prazi treatment just in case it was black ich and not bacterial? Other fish show no signs.
I should have been clear, I’m thinking this may be flukes, so prazi would be the way to go. If it is bacterial, most external bacteria are present in every tank, it is just if the fish is injured, that it begins to invade the fish tissue.
Jay

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have been clear, I’m thinking this may be flukes, so prazi would be the way to go. If it is bacterial, most external bacteria are present in every tank, it is just if the fish is injured, that it begins to invade the fish tissue.
Jay
Got it. Thank you.
Can I just treat the existing healthy fishes with Prazi soaked food? Or would they still be in the water column.

Back