Black Ick- post prazipro treatment.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a new member. I hope I am posting this correctly.

I have two mature clownfish that started having small black dots. Upon further research and reading thru many r2r posts I believe they have/had black ick.
I was able to catch both and did a fresh water dip followed by a prazipro treatment in QT. After first treatment it seems they have MORE black dots. After first week I did a second prazipro treatment but they still have the dots after second week.

somewhere on the internet I read that dying “black ick worms” can also leave black dots, but I can’t find that post now. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a chance the new dots are dead worms? Or most likely new worms?

I purchased formaldehyde but not too sure if it’s the right stuff. I attached a photo of the fish and the formaldehyde. A formalin dip seems to be the only “almost for sure” cure. I was hoping to avoid the formaldehyde but Should I be thinking of a formalin dip? Followed by qt until dots are gone?

regarding the dots: how long do they generally take to go away/ heal?

last question: no other fish in DT have the dots or show any signs of black ick or anything for that matter. Will I need to take out all fish for 60+ days to rid DT like regular ick? There are some that say only the fish showing signs need removed and qt and some say ALL fish need removed and qt for long enough for black ick to go thru it’s life cycle and die from no hosts available. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

7B218AE3-CEA2-46F3-A092-2CDFDACE5FB9.jpeg E932C881-EE02-45D7-BCD3-4AD5CF8B42BE.jpeg 04212CAF-4015-4EAF-9541-7463A89F93EB.jpeg

OP
OP
Bfragale

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to follow up here:
1/21/20- removed both infected fish- did 20 min freshwater dip, filled by a clean QT with Prizipro treatment.

1/27/20 - seem MORE black spots. Did 50% WC and treated Prazipro again.

1/7/20- I see Less spots but still spots...

EE4CA7C5-1108-498C-B863-DEF5EDEB5F7A.jpeg CE266448-DF28-4180-8ED2-F3DD3BF33EFE.jpeg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black spots can show after a parasitic infection as well, the insertion points can present this way on some fish. I’d continue prazi and wait a week or two before doing more.

Fenbendazole is what I’d use on stubborn worms.

OP
OP
Bfragale

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok
Black spots can show after a parasitic infection as well, the insertion points can present this way on some fish. I’d continue prazi and wait a week or two before doing more.

Fenbendazole is what I’d use on stubborn worms.

That’s really what I was hoping it was. Thank you for the input. I will do exactly that. I’ll keep this post updated with any new info or observations.
Thank you again! Take care

OP
OP
Bfragale

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a follow up:

treated 3 treatment 2/7/20- next day fish had more black spots.. again. I’m going to leave them in QT for another 2-3 weeks and see if spots heal, if not I’ll give in and do the formalin or fenbendazoe treatment.

but so far no real improvement. Just to note: both fish appear healthy and eat like normal- except the black dots won’t go away. After 23 days in QT they still have the black spots.

am I doing something wrong here?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No as 4ford family said some worms are more stubborn. I would use the fenbendazole.

OP
OP
Bfragale

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. 4 treatments of prazipro and fish still have black dots. Been in QT for 4 weeks. No signs of it getting any better.

today is day 3 feeding food with Fenbendazole.

still yet to see any signs of improvement.

my last thought is a formeldahyde bath. That is something I didn’t want to do but looks like it’s my only option left?

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piscinquilinus worms burrow deep within The tissue and leave black spots even after they are treated. Its possible that this is what you are seeing.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to follow up here:
1/21/20- removed both infected fish- did 20 min freshwater dip, filled by a clean QT with Prizipro treatment.

1/27/20 - seem MORE black spots. Did 50% WC and treated Prazipro again.

1/7/20- I see Less spots but still spots...

EE4CA7C5-1108-498C-B863-DEF5EDEB5F7A.jpeg CE266448-DF28-4180-8ED2-F3DD3BF33EFE.jpeg
Fish are notoriously slow to heal at times. The "tatoo" like spots should continue to fade. If the numbers were increasing, then, yes, I'd consider the formalin. But that is really nasty stuff that can damage your fish internally and ultimately shorten its life span. It's a drug I use as a last resort.

OP
OP
Bfragale

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown still has black spots. I tried everything (except formalin) and nothing worked. Fish is healthy otherwise. After a few months in qt and many treatments I decided to a put them back in DT.

LowBucks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a year and 1/2 how are your clowns. I came across your post because I have run into the same problem. On 1 clown and my baby tang. I have 3 fish it qt with copper and prazi pro the 3rd fish a clown shows no sign of illness better be safe than sorry.

OP
OP
Bfragale

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest- black spots are still there. I think they are permanent marks on the fish. They have been back in display and happy since December 2020

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back