Black Marks on Hippo Tang

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our blue hippo tang has a bunch of dark random sized marks on both sides of her body.

No fish have been added in 3 months, and all were QT before that. Recently (2 weeks ago) added a BTA and two tuxedo urchins both from fishless systems.

Installed a carbon/gfo reactor 5 days ago.

Could this be anemone or urchin stings? Or a reaction to carbon?

No other fish are affected but a clown had some tang swipes a week ago. These look different than that did. Also appears too big for black ich.

Any ideas??
5C7E2CEA-CDE6-44AC-BC17-FED57E4C297F.jpeg
CCF7EBBD-B908-40CB-91FE-405BD8238745.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a sting from the BTS. I don't think it is related to carbon - that can cause head and lateral line erosion in tangs, but that doesn't show like this.

There are a few species of turbellarians (black ich) and one is a bit larger. These could also be cysts from digenean trematodes (less likely). However, as you said, the spots are variable in size - that tends to rule out both issues.

Did the spots show up suddenly all at once, or did they increase in number over time?

Are those shrimp antenna in the second photo? If so, does the tang posture for the shrimp to be cleaned by it?

Jay

OP
OP
gunflintcamper

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a sting from the BTS. I don't think it is related to carbon - that can cause head and lateral line erosion in tangs, but that doesn't show like this.

There are a few species of turbellarians (black ich) and one is a bit larger. These could also be cysts from digenean trematodes (less likely). However, as you said, the spots are variable in size - that tends to rule out both issues.

Did the spots show up suddenly all at once, or did they increase in number over time?

Are those shrimp antenna in the second photo? If so, does the tang posture for the shrimp to be cleaned by it?

Jay
Thank you for your quick response!

There were no spots last night so they showed up in a matter of 12 hours.

Yes we do have two cleaners and no the tang doesn’t go near them on purpose. She isn’t flashing either. Acting her normal skittish self.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your quick response!

There were no spots last night so they showed up in a matter of 12 hours.

Yes we do have two cleaners and no the tang doesn’t go near them on purpose. She isn’t flashing either. Acting her normal skittish self.
Well, I can’t tell you for certain, but it could be a result of getting stung - maybe it blundered into the tentacles at night? BTA just don’t have a really potent sting though…
Jay

OP
OP
gunflintcamper

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can’t tell you for certain, but it could be a result of getting stung - maybe it blundered into the tentacles at night? BTA just don’t have a really potent sting though…
Jay
Is it possible it’s from an urchin? An urchin was near the tangs hideout when we saw it this morning. It very well could have been in it earlier. I just don’t know if urchins are that pokey.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible it’s from an urchin? An urchin was near the tangs hideout when we saw it this morning. It very well could have been in it earlier. I just don’t know if urchins are that pokey.
I've never seen that, at least not multiple punctures like that. Reminds me of an old joke: one detective: It was an accident, he fell on his knife. Other detective, but 45 times?

Jay

OP
OP
gunflintcamper

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok update for future reference…

Marks are 90% gone.

Most likely scenario was one of the new urchins eating above the hippos ‘bed’. She flopped around and got herself a little stung.

Nothing else makes any sense.

But I’m no fish Dr.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back