Black marks on Moorish Idol and Powder blue tang

Lefeta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, just wanted to know whether anyone has experienced this before, and if its normal? I’m just concerned because my powder blue had similar black marks 2-3 weeks before dying of an unknown cause (which would eventually end up killing half my fish: tangs and angels). I ended up treating it with Formalin, and since then i’ve had no other casualties (I also have a royal dottyback, midas blenny, and 2 clowns). I’ve had the Moorish Idol for almost a week now. His been eating well and has showed no signs of weakness or irregularities. In the past couple of days his developed this same mysterious mark.
Tank:
- 350L
- Salinity: 1.025
- Temperature: 25 Degrees celsius
- Ammonia = 0 (don’t have exact value)
- Nitrates = 8ppm
- Calcium = 400ppm

A5B718B7-3C55-40EE-8AB9-485BBA83C7E7.jpeg 2B1D7686-33AC-424B-99E7-44C0852A37B9.jpeg 454D6302-9ED1-45BF-8AB0-BE66A28C7FB1.jpeg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally - black markings in fish are often signs of healed mechanical damage. The fish transport up melamine to the wound (an antiradical) as a sort of defence mechanism. Hence - the black marking. I do not say that this is the case in this actual case but have that in mind when you decide what to do. That the fish have start eating and eating good - is a very good sign - so do not overreact.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
L

Lefeta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally - black markings in fish are often signs of healed mechanical damage. The fish transport up melamine to the wound (an antiradical) as a sort of defence mechanism. Hence - the black marking. I do not say that this is the case in this actual case but have that in mind when you decide what to do. That the fish have start eating and eating good - is a very good sign - so do not overreact.

Sincerely Lasse
That’s wonderful news. I guess i’m just a little worried about last time. I’ll probably hold off on dosing the Formalin then. Thanks for the insightful information!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s wonderful news. I guess i’m just a little worried about last time. I’ll probably hold off on dosing the Formalin then. Thanks for the insightful information!
Yes but observe the fish very well - I´m can be wrong and you maybe need treatment but IME - black markings is often old wounds. It is difficult to judge with just a photo

Sincerely Lasse

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back