Black mass on diamond goby gill

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I've posted on a few groups on Facebook and haven't gotten an answer. My sand sifting goby started growing a black mass out of his gill area. I've never seen anything like this. He's still eating and sifting sand fine but the growth has suddenly rapidly increased in size over the last week. It's almost transparent up close and appears to be soft and squishy and not a solid mass. It first appeared about a month ago and I've had him for about 2-3 months. He doesn't appear to have anything lodged in his mouth or gills. Please help, I have no idea how to treat this.

20210221_185015.jpg 20210221_185006.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thyroid tumors (goiter) develop in some fish, but usually in older fish, and they grow slower. It could be an aneurysm I suppose, but either way, there isn't any treatment, sorry.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a xenoma imo
Could be, but I've never seen a fish with just one really large one like that. It also seems too soft based on the OPs description.

Jay

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be, but I've never seen a fish with just one really large one like that. It also seems too soft based on the OPs description.

Jay
Im certainly no expert on fish biology so i could be wrong i just remember doing a lab in school where the specimen had a xenoma that caused hypertrophy to the gill tissue, it looked very similar. But thats just a guess.

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thyroid tumors (goiter) develop in some fish, but usually in older fish, and they grow slower. It could be an aneurysm I suppose, but either way, there isn't any treatment, sorry.

Jay
That's a shame, I wasn't very hopeful I'd be able to save him but I figured it's still worth asking. Thanks for your input

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I've posted on a few groups on Facebook and haven't gotten an answer. My sand sifting goby started growing a black mass out of his gill area. I've never seen anything like this. He's still eating and sifting sand fine but the growth has suddenly rapidly increased in size over the last week. It's almost transparent up close and appears to be soft and squishy and not a solid mass. It first appeared about a month ago and I've had him for about 2-3 months. He doesn't appear to have anything lodged in his mouth or gills. Please help, I have no idea how to treat this.

20210221_185015.jpg 20210221_185006.jpg
Hi, I know it’s been a long time since your post, but did you find out what it was? Did he die soon after or did it go away? I noticed my diamond goby has one side of his gills a bit larger than the other so I looked closely and saw his gills inside are black in that side. He eats normally and sifts sand like normal otherwise. It would be impossible to catch him so I’m hoping maybe it’s something that goes away on its own. I did notice he also has a little string of debris that looks like some algae sticking out of the top edge of his gill. I’m thinking maybe it wrapped around the gill somehow and stopped blood flow or something. It won’t come off and has been there for awhile. It’s just a guess but it’s strange. His gill looks like your picture… just not that big yet

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 138 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back