Black Mollies in macro tank

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who use black mollies to help keep you macro algae clean of nuisance algae, how effective are they? I tried a black balloon molly and i cant tell if its making an impact. It just hides from the clowns durring the day and comes out at night. Also, is there anything special about black mollies vs other types such as balloon, sailfin, lyretail ect in terms of their affinity for algae?

OP
OP
ClownWrangler

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of algae do black mollies eat?

I only tried one black balloon molly, but after that I got some tail spot blennies and they seem to be better for picking hair algae off my macro alga. I also have a bicolor blenny in QT for the same purpose. I think blennies are a better option. I wish I discovered this sooner.

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who use black mollies to help keep you macro algae clean of nuisance algae, how effective are they? I tried a black balloon molly and i cant tell if its making an impact. It just hides from the clowns durring the day and comes out at night. Also, is there anything special about black mollies vs other types such as balloon, sailfin, lyretail ect in terms of their affinity for algae?
I breed saltwater mollies. They are rare from where I am and everyone loves them. All colors. Sailfin as well. LFS sells for $15 each. (They pay me about $5 each) they are amazing at eating algae! Very active and friendly little guys.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I breed saltwater mollies. They are rare from where I am and everyone loves them. All colors. Sailfin as well. LFS sells for $15 each. (They pay me about $5 each) they are amazing at eating algae! Very active and friendly little guys.
I sell them for a buck a piece where I am every color and pattern lol. Wouldnt get any more than that

Attachments

• IMG_20210813_080204.jpg
    IMG_20210813_080204.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 40

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell them for a buck a piece where I am every color and pattern lol. Wouldnt get any more than that
Really?! Wow. Yeah around here they are praised everyone loves them. The local shop used to breed them but stopped cause they kept dying on them so I acclimated a pair over to salt and now I got tons and the store loves them

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really?! Wow. Yeah around here they are praised everyone loves them. The local shop used to breed them but stopped cause they kept dying on them so I acclimated a pair over to salt and now I got tons and the store loves them

Attachments

• 47C9595A-3023-4895-9C8F-73E295450000.jpeg
    47C9595A-3023-4895-9C8F-73E295450000.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 37

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are these guys definitely safe with macros? I have a 40 gallon tank that I use to grow out smaller pieces of macros and have been trying to decide what to stock it with. I love the look of the lyretail black and gold mollies that LiveAquaria has but, I've been hesitant to get them because I'm not sure if they'll eat any of my macros. I mostly have red macros but my main concern is that I do have some brown (dictyota which is pretty soft and delicate) and green (batophora) macros that I'm worried they might snack on.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are these guys definitely safe with macros? I have a 40 gallon tank that I use to grow out smaller pieces of macros and have been trying to decide what to stock it with. I love the look of the lyretail black and gold mollies that LiveAquaria has but, I've been hesitant to get them because I'm not sure if they'll eat any of my macros. I mostly have red macros but my main concern is that I do have some brown (dictyota which is pretty soft and delicate) and green (batophora) macros that I'm worried they might snack on.
I have never seen them eat macro, ive seen them eat hair algae off different macros and clean them but never actually eat them. I feed my tangs live seaweed I harvest locally and the mollies were only ever interested in sea lettuce but nothing else (out of tons of brown green and red species)

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they will be fine
I have never seen them eat macro, ive seen them eat hair algae off different macros and clean them but never actually eat them. I feed my tangs live seaweed I harvest locally and the mollies were only ever interested in sea lettuce but nothing else (out of tons of brown green and red species)
Thanks guys! I think I'm going to order some when it gets warmer here in NY. Any tips on acclimating them to saltwater? I have plenty of buckets and a spare heater to use. How long should I drip acclimate for?

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I think I'm going to order some when it gets warmer here in NY. Any tips on acclimating them to saltwater? I have plenty of buckets and a spare heater to use. How long should I drip acclimate for?
As a fellow New Yorker… they will be fine if you order now. I ordered other tropical fish in February last year they did well. The company will ship them properly. I acclimated them in a bucket over three course of a hour. Every 5 min add a cup full of saltwater to the bucket.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries! You'll get different answers I did it many different ways but with the most success approx 70% survival both dumping straight in the system and dripping for a whole 3 days. Shorter acclimation times led to larger losses but so did longer until 3 days. Interpret that how you wish I ended up going with the longer end acclimating for 3 whole days using an iv bag. You'll experience more loses with designer morphs like I used, if you start with black or natural color (silver and olive) sailfins you'll have the most success transitioning fish that were born in fresh.

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a fellow New Yorker… they will be fine if you order now. I ordered other tropical fish in February last year they did well. The company will ship them properly. I acclimated them in a bucket over three course of a hour. Every 5 min add a cup full of saltwater to the bucket.
Awesome, nice to meet you! Thanks for the info! How many do you think would be ok in a 40g?

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say if that’s all you plan to have.. maybe 8-10 considering they will multiply fast.
Yeah, I'm keeping the tank very simple. The mollies would be the only things I'd keep in there other than some CUC.

No worries! You'll get different answers I did it many different ways but with the most success approx 70% survival both dumping straight in the system and dripping for a whole 3 days. Shorter acclimation times led to larger losses but so did longer until 3 days. Interpret that how you wish I ended up going with the longer end acclimating for 3 whole days using an iv bag. You'll experience more loses with designer morphs like I used, if you start with black or natural color (silver and olive) sailfins you'll have the most success transitioning fish that were born in fresh.
Ok, thanks! I feel like I had read on here someone else saying the same thing, that very short/no acclimation or very long acclimation worked best. Nine is my luck number lol, so I'll order that many with the expectation that I will likely lose a couple. I'll try my best with acclimating them so hopefully there will be very little to no losses.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back