Black ocellaris pair acts weird when the lights are on but is totally normal without lights???

Nooonan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have literally been stalling on making this post for about a week because it is so ridiculous but I can't go on any longer..

I have 2 black ocellaris in a 20 gallon nuvo. They're about an inch and a half in size and are the only fish in the tank. They've both have been swimming tucked in the front corner of the tank, with their pectoral fin in the corner- facing the top of the tank. They do this all day long. My girlfriend swore to me that they acted totally different when she turned the light off which is a Prime HD. I was thinking "what the heck no way... there's no way why would that be?" But she showed me. I turned the light off and they immediately started to swim throughout the tank, into and out of the rocks and even ate better.

I have worked in the aquarium service industry for 17 years. I have been frequently asked about weird clownfish behavior, like staying in the top corner of the tank... but this is absurd. They are they're most active with 0 light over the tank besides the ceiling lights in that room. If I turn the prunes blue lights on 1-5% they immediately swim to the corner and start again.

I don't even know what to do. Does anyone have any experience of this? Any tips?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So weird! (Are you know clowns are weird haha) first thought: stray voltage
Second thought: duh it's a light and doesn't go in the water.
Third thought: clowns are weird

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought is that nothing clowns do is surprising. Another possibility is that perhaps the female has some sensiivity to light.

OP
OP
Nooonan

Nooonan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light is on acclimation mode I don't know what else to do but give them time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back