Black patches on naso tang

Perkthemacha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this naso tang for like 4 months now and it is doing fine. No disease when i first got it, but yesterday, i spotted some black patches on its pectoral fin & tail. It also have some torn fin on its dorsal and anal fin, doesnt know whether other fish bit it or it is rotten. Can i ask what type of disease is this? And should i be worried about it?

IMG_20221108_221726_344.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had this naso tang for like 4 months now and it is doing fine. No disease when i first got it, but yesterday, i spotted some black patches on its pectoral fin & tail. It also have some torn fin on its dorsal and anal fin, doesnt know whether other fish bit it or it is rotten. Can i ask what type of disease is this? And should i be worried about it?

IMG_20221108_221726_344.jpg
Looks like remnants from bite marks. What other occupants are in your tank ?

OP
OP
P

Perkthemacha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like remnants from bite marks. What other occupants are in your tank ?
What about the black patches? I have a spiny porcupinefish, orange shoulder tang, clown tang, bird wrasse, yellow line sweetlip and a foxface rabbitfish.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the black patches? I have a spiny porcupinefish, orange shoulder tang, clown tang, bird wrasse, yellow line sweetlip and a foxface rabbitfish.
What about the black patches?
That:
“Looks like remnants from bite marks”

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I agree that this looks like bite marks from other fish. The dark coloration is granulation tissue and indicates these areas are healing. The pectoral fin may be related as well - you’ll often not see actual aggression in the fish - it’s over in a split second and then the damage is done.
There really isn’t any contagious diseases that cause this sort of thing.
Not sure who could be the culprit here though. Sometimes, if you set up your phone to video your tank and then leave the room, you can watch the video and catch them in the act.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Suspect #1- Clown tang ( these are relatives of the devil himself)
#2- shoulder tang but clown is a monster- If not now, will be

OP
OP
P

Perkthemacha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I agree that this looks like bite marks from other fish. The dark coloration is granulation tissue and indicates these areas are healing. The pectoral fin may be related as well - you’ll often not see actual aggression in the fish - it’s over in a split second and then the damage is done.
There really isn’t any contagious diseases that cause this sort of thing.
Not sure who could be the culprit here though. Sometimes, if you set up your phone to video your tank and then leave the room, you can watch the video and catch them in the act.
Jay
Should i be worried about its abnormal swimming style that just happen today? It wasnt as active as the previous day.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i be worried about its abnormal swimming style that just happen today? It wasnt as active as the previous day.
Sorry - I didn’t see any mention of abnormal swimming…..secondary symptoms can change the prognosis quite a bit!

Can you describe the swimming issue? A short video would be even better (linking to You Tube works pretty well).

Jay

OP
OP
P

Perkthemacha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I didn’t see any mention of abnormal swimming…..secondary symptoms can change the prognosis quite a bit!

Can you describe the swimming issue? A short video would be even better (linking to You Tube works pretty well).

Jay
It's just not that hypergetic when eating and havent been eating today.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., that changes things - a fish that was eating well and that stops eating has an issue that needs to be taken care of. It is pretty rare for a fish to stop eating for some reason (other than not being hungry!) and then just starting up on its own again later on without you needing to do anything. More typically, the fish stops eating and then gets progressively worse....

Can you post a video of the fish?
Do you have a treatment tank available?

Jay

OP
OP
P

Perkthemacha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a treatment tank but this tank had been with copper before

Attachments

• 5_6296485810430543973.mp4
    2.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a treatment tank but this tank had been with copper before

Hmmm, all I can really see in the video is that the naso is breathing just a bit fast.

It may be that the find/skin marks are secondary and of not much consequence. Have you thought that it could be gill flukes? You could try a Prazipro treatment (mostly reef safe) in the tank, 2x, 8 days apart to see if that provides some relief. The only real drawback for that is the cost of the medication.....

Jay

OP
OP
P

Perkthemacha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, all I can really see in the video is that the naso is breathing just a bit fast.

It may be that the find/skin marks are secondary and of not much consequence. Have you thought that it could be gill flukes? You could try a Prazipro treatment (mostly reef safe) in the tank, 2x, 8 days apart to see if that provides some relief. The only real drawback for that is the cost of the medication.....

Jay
There isnt any prazipro available in my country so i tried prazigold. Should it still be breathing hard after dosing? How long would it take until it stop to breath so heavy

OP
OP
P

Perkthemacha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi should all the fish be breathing very heavy after prazi dosage?
How long until they stop breathing so heavy?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%

Back