Black rock sea urchin

lxb021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a black rock sea urchin about a little over a week over. When I first added him to the tank he was very active and now he has not moved from behind a rock for days. I safely changed his location so I can keep a better eye on him. I have noticed little pieces of spines falling off. I’m unsure if he is dead or not I Am a new aquarium owner.

image.jpg

OP
OP
lxb021

lxb021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's not dead yet how old is the tank and what are the parameters?
The tank has been up and running for about 3.5/ 4 months. All of the water levels are within range the alkalinity was slightly higher but still within the ok range. We are dosing the tank with alkalinity and calcium for the corals. I just checked them all this morning. We are also keeping up with the 10% water change weekly.

OP
OP
lxb021

lxb021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature 79.3 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 cl2 0 alkalinity 40 carbonate 40 pH 7.6 specific gravity 1.026

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had him? Edit just saw you said over a week ago.
What test kit are you using?
What type of algae do you have?
Urchins are finicky. And some like to eat corals

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been up and running for about 3.5/ 4 months. All of the water levels are within range the alkalinity was slightly higher but still within the ok range. We are dosing the tank with alkalinity and calcium for the corals. I just checked them all this morning. We are also keeping up with the 10% water change weekly.
For a newly established tank, I HIGHLY recommend Chemi-Pure Blue filter packs; especially for nano/pico-sized tanks.
I have finicky invertebrates, and it has been a game-changer.

TuxUrchin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s one that’s considered reef safe as well?

Don’t need to coral munchers
They don't seem to bother the corals either. Even thought mine was rubbing against my acan it was fine. I think the spikes are soft so that why they try to hide themselves with debris

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got my 25 (and knew nothing about reefing) I went to one of my local places and asked them what I should get for a brand new tank. They were like well, a tux urchin is a great cleaner. The poor little guy didn't have enough food and died. It really sucks when a store gives you bad information. I also had a Green spotted puffer (when I was still doing fresh and brackish) that I loved so dearly that I got from them and he developed ich within a week. Me thinking I could cure him tried ichx not realizing that it had copper in it. I called them and they said that they thought it would be just fine. He also passed away, and I was so broken up by it. Never going back there ever again. Sorry I know it doesn’t have much to do with what we're talking about. :rolleyes:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back