Black sand

arix 36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi iam in the process of setting up a evolution aqua 450 iam considering using black sand has anyone ever used this i can't seem to find much information regarding it

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Loved/hated it. Used in as a tiral in a nanocube and ended up never using it ever again on any of my other tanks. Loved the fact that it's really interesting and looks great under actinics- really highlights corals. The bad part is that any detritus is instantly noticeable. I couldn't stand seeing detritus or fish poop on the surface of the sand whenever I looked into my tank.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also typically contains some magnetic particles, whether these are harmful or not is still open to debate but if you search there are multiple threads with folks running black sand and having random issues. I would not personally. Maybe look into some of the “pink” if you want a little interest. OR cover the sand bed with low light loving corals.

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi iam in the process of setting up a evolution aqua 450 iam considering using black sand has anyone ever used this i can't seem to find much information regarding it
So here you are if you want a side by side comparison lol and I’m using the Hawaiian black gravel and Bahamas oolite. Sorry tank isn’t newly cycled and currently in an usgly phase.

image.jpg

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do have the Hawaiian black sand just harder to come by and locate. And it’s not fine or oolite they are pretty big grains. It by no means gravel like I’m using

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Hawaiian black and love it, however probably not the best if you're wanting wrasse or sand sifting critters

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have it in my Nuvo 10, I did it because of the bright anemones I want in it. I wouldn’t put it in my large tank, it kind of reminds me of freshwater tank rocks you would buy. But they grain size isn’t as big as the fresh water.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back