Black Snowflake with brook/velvet? Are my treatment options ok?

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My large snowflake has had a haze to her (looks like brook to me) for the past 4-5 days. Luckily I have followed @Humblefish treatment plan so far but don't know if I could do anything better. So far did a 90 minute rally dip a couple a days ago. Transferred to QT (her and her pair), treated tank with metro every 48 hours. I am going to do another rally bath tonight for 90 minutes and put her back in the same tank (I am running out of QT tanks!), also dosing food with general cure and focus. I have all medications on hand...Metro,kanaplex,general cure, praziquantel pro, furan 2. I guess I just want a positive ID on the issue and want to know if I want just keep continuing what I am doing (metro every 48, rally dip every 3-4 days, feed medicated food). Thanks for everyones input in advance.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like Brooklynella. Be careful about dosing metronidazole and feeding General cure at the same time, as you can OD them on the metro. I would skip the oral meds, no studies showing it works on external protozoan and the dose is just a guess anyway.
Personally, I like formalin dips and moving the fish to a fresh tank, but rally dips have worked for some folks.
Jay

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like Brooklynella. Be careful about dosing metronidazole and feeding General cure at the same time, as you can OD them on the metro. I would skip the oral meds, no studies showing it works on external protozoan and the dose is just a guess anyway.
Personally, I like formalin dips and moving the fish to a fresh tank, but rally dips have worked for some folks.
Jay
Hi Jay thanks for you help. Can I alternate between rally and furan 2 baths? Will cut down on the medicated food and just food normal pellet and frozen....How much is too much dip wise? Is once every 3 days ok?1x a day? Is that too stressful? Was going to tag you in this but I figured I already bugged you on previous threads with questions :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could dip in rally every other day, alternating with the Furan dip. If I knew for sure it was Brook, I would skip the Furan, but you probably should cover all bases.

Jay

Back