Black spot disease

Joseph Disalvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my yellow tang has black spot disease (black ich) .. not the worst thing in the world but first time treating it myself. Prazipro seems to be the go to treatment. Really my question is has anyone actually dosed directly into display as I’m reading many have. Is it truly coral and invert safe. Let me know reefers

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is the best option. It is reef safe to a extent. I've used it several times in display tanks over the years. It will make your skimmer go crazy along with irritate corals and inverts. Personally I have not experienced any major negative results.

OP
OP
Joseph Disalvo

Joseph Disalvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My condy anemone is luckily on his own rock that I can move into my other tank for the time being. I’ll have to hope for the best for my coral. Should I run my skimmer no cup as to not skim out the treatment ? Also should remove carbon right?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My condy anemone is luckily on his own rock that I can move into my other tank for the time being. I’ll have to hope for the best for my coral. Should I run my skimmer no cup as to not skim out the treatment ? Also should remove carbon right?
No skimmer cup and no carbon.

OP
OP
Joseph Disalvo

Joseph Disalvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to run chemi clean for a bit of Cyano before this came up. Need to take same measures equipment wise.. do you think running it at the same time will be to much at once? Medicate then run the chemi at a later time

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to run chemi clean for a bit of Cyano before this came up. Need to take same measures equipment wise.. do you think running it at the same time will be to much at once? Medicate then run the chemi at a later time
I wouldn't run them both. Both Chemiclean and prazi decrease the oxygen in the water.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clowns with black ick. They have been in QT for 4 weeks. I have done 4 treatments of prazipro (each one week apart) and they still have the black spots. I am now feeding food with Fenbendazole. Today is third day with the Fenbendazole.

still no change. Still have black spots that come and go.

I’m at a loss. Not sure what to do next. Maybe formalin Bath?

but me personally, I would not treat the DT.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clowns with black ick. They have been in QT for 4 weeks. I have done 4 treatments of prazipro (each one week apart) and they still have the black spots. I am now feeding food with Fenbendazole. Today is third day with the Fenbendazole.

still no change. Still have black spots that come and go.

I’m at a loss. Not sure what to do next. Maybe formalin Bath?

but me personally, I would not treat the DT.
Have you tried FW bath's every 2-3 days?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 15Min FW dip before they went into QT. But only that one time. It also didn’t seem to make a difference with spots but the fish hated it.
15 min is too long, I wouldn't do more than 5 min.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 min is too long, I wouldn't do more than 5 min.
That what I thought, was told by LFS that the black Ick needed more time in FW, and to watch the fish and remove if they look really bad. It was 15 min Of torture for me and the fish.

what about a hydrogen peroxide in salt water bath? Has anyone heard of this working for black ick? I’ve read it’s less traumatic on the fish, but can’t find if it helps black Ick.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That what I thought, was told by LFS that the black Ick needed more time in FW, and to watch the fish and remove if they look really bad. It was 15 min Of torture for me and the fish.

what about a hydrogen peroxide in salt water bath? Has anyone heard of this working for black ick? I’ve read it’s less traumatic on the fish, but can’t find if it helps black Ick.
@Humblefish what are your thoughts on this?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish what are your thoughts on this?
Humblefish's posting on H2O2

OP
OP
Joseph Disalvo

Joseph Disalvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that if prazipro didn’t work it was prob something else.. are all the specks pepper sized or do some vary in size more like a patch

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that if prazipro didn’t work it was prob something else.. are all the specks pepper sized or do some vary in size more like a patch
Definitely could be. I think a skin scrape put under a microscope will give you a better idea.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • None.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back