Black spot on clownfish

jwwoodjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at my clownfish yesterday and noticed some black spots on them that I haven't seen before. I don't know how long they've been there because to be honest I can't say the last time I looked at them that closely. Their behavior and eating habits have not changed and I don't see the spots on my 6 line wrasse or diamond goby. I'm assuming it's stings from coral but I've never seen them go close to a coral, let alone try to host. If anyone thinks I need to be worried let me know and I can treat with prazipro. Sorry for the terrible pictures but they fidget as much as I do for pictures.

IMG-2643.jpg IMG-2647 (1).jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with sharkbait. They are building up slime coat/immunity to live in a coral or whatever you got in there.

OP
OP
jwwoodjr

jwwoodjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like stings. Happens to mine all the time.
What kinds of corals?
I have some frogspawn, hammers, leather, zoas, mushrooms, chalices, and some montis. It caught me off guard because I haven't added anything other than the leather in the last weeks and have never seen the spots before.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some frogspawn, hammers, leather, zoas, mushrooms, chalices, and some montis. It caught me off guard because I haven't added anything other than the leather in the last weeks and have never seen the spots before.
It's possible the clowns are attempting to host the frogspawn or hammers. Euphyllia corals have a strong sting, so they're probably just getting themselves used to it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back