Black storm clownfish

Jedi_Master

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I got these two juvenile black storms two days ago. They’ve been at the lsf for over a month and are eating well. They adapted to my tank quite well and were eating. I checked on them this morning and noticed one was just fine but the other was by the bottom not swimming as much and on its side.

I did a 10% emergency water change and my parameters are:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.05
Nitrate: 20-30

Temp is 78F and salinity is 1.024.

I’d have a quarantine tank running but it’s still on the process of being shipped.

I did take them out and put them in Tupperware and the sick looking one seemed to be revived a bit. I put them back in the tank for the time being. What should I do?

Attachments

• IMG_3869.MOV
    5.4 MB

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Why is there nitrite but no ammonia showing? Nitrite should be reading 0 if your tank is cycled.

MyFirstCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not one of the fishmedics, but making sure there's good oxygen to the water (skimmer/airstone/powerhead pointed at the surface) and possibly turning down the flow to make swimming easier are always helpful.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is there nitrite but no ammonia showing? Nitrite should be reading 0 if your tank is cycled.
A newer tank might be processing ammonia but still have nitrite present. Nitrite isn't harmful to marine animals so this is ok.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A newer tank might be processing ammonia but still have nitrite present. Nitrite isn't harmful to marine animals so this is ok.
I was taught way back in the 90's that nitrite was lethal if you added livestock to a tank that contained nitrite in any amount...did something change in the last 30 years?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was taught way back in the 90's that nitrite was lethal if you added livestock to a tank that contained nitrite in any amount...did something change in the last 30 years?
In fresh water yes.. doesn’t pertain to salt water fish.. nitrite has zero effect.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s for freshwater

@Jedi_Master im on mobile and can’t see the video, could you do a YouTube imbed or post some clear pictures?

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If nitrite has no ill affect on saltwater livestock then why would they make and sell nitrite test kits? :thinking-face:

It's been a main test in all of the marine test kits for the past 30+ years.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nitrite has no ill affect on saltwater livestock then why would they make and sell nitrite test kits? :thinking-face:

It's been a main test in all of the marine test kits for the past 30+ years.
So you can monitor your cycle...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small sip (tspn) will tell you everything you need to know about your aquarium water. :eek:
good mythical morning taste GIF by Rhett and Link

OP
OP
Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I exchanged the storm for another slightly larger one and it seems to have adjusted fine. I also think I’m doing too many partial water changes on a new tank. Added a bit more bacteria too. Hopefully all goes well. Thanks all!

Back