Blasting powerheads for 1 minute a day, to clean rocks.

alfieh0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, just want to know your opinion on this ides i have, if this is a good idea or you think there are issue with it.

Basically i have the Maxspect gyre powerheads, i don't use them to the max, as i think the high setting is overkill for my tank. Anyway, there is a schedule option on them to set the pump to run at different power and settings, at different times of the day. At the moment my schedule is high during the day and 10% less at night.

My idea is to set the powerheads, to turn on to 100%, or near that, for 1 minute, once a day. The idea is to dislodge and free and uneaten food from the day, giving a change for the fish and corals to consume it again and the filter to pick it up and filter it out. I'll probably do this right before my lights go out, so i don't have to see the messy tank.

Just wondering if anyone else does this, or do you recommend this is something that will help, keep the tank cleaner. Will it stress out the fish, or cause any other problems?
Thanks.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do basically the same thing after I feed.

I have the apex turn all my pumps on to 100% for 5 minutes(nutrient export mode on my vortechs) after I push the feed button, and 10 minutes has elapsed(my feed timer where I shut the pumps off).

SillyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a turkey baster and blow rocks/coral off every few weeks. Kinda like a strong storm that blew in.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a turkey baster and blow rocks/coral off every few weeks. Kinda like a strong storm that blew in.
Also a great idea! I do this during my weekly WC's. Using the PH's cranked up is just another way to get the ditritus into the overflow during the rest of the week.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope... Crushed coral back in the day, and special grade reef flor now a days. Tried fine sand one time, got pulled out rather quickly. lol

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oolite w blot out his tank like the arrows of the spartans blacked out the sky> 300 meme with eyebrow indentation

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed its a good method, its like stick stirring as sandbed impaction preventative. you will keep your surface area in higher presentation to wastewater with this idea. accumulations directly reduce surface area presentation to wastewater.

Back