blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone needs to point it out it’s flying over the noggin here
I think he's poking fun at Creationism with the billions of years/God bit, ie: Earth wasn't created literally in 7 days.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he's poking fun at Creationism with the billions of years/God bit, ie: Earth wasn't created literally in 7 days.
Oh for sure. I was over thinking there was something more lucrative I missed with the potatoes or the “ocean is fresh” lines

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what my week has felt like...

sephko-comics-fish-money-2697686.png

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June 4. Torqued
As you know, I have a lot of fish in my system. And I feed a lot (6 times a day - not including seaweed). So how do I keep the nutrients in-check? My method is three-fold:

1. I run four (4) 100-micron sock filters in my Red Sea filter trays (soon to be replaced by a Red Sea ReefMat 1200 whenever it arrives). These get changed every 48 hours.
2. I have two (2) 8"x4"x4" MarinePure blocks and two (2) boxes of MarinePure 1.5" spheres in the media/refugium chamber immediately following the filter socks. These get removed and rinsed in saltwater roughly every 2-6 months.
3. I run a pair of Nyos Torq reactors beside the Nyos Quantum 160 skimmer. The first has a 2.0 body that holds 2000ml of Nyos Zeo rock. The second is a 1.0 body that holds ~500ml each of Nyos Active Carbon and Nyos Phosi-Ex (carbon on the bottom, GFO on top).

Torq_Imagebild_ret_20181002_RZ_Web.jpg

The reason I went this route as opposed to using a pair of media baskets for the carbon and GFO is two-fold. First, I tried this initially and found the carbon and GFO media bags (inside the media cups) were getting just covered in crap, clogging up and restricting flow. Second, I was having to change my filter socks daily. So by moving these to a pair of dedicated reactors I can run these independently - ensuring that I actually get a much higher water flow through the media There's a third benefit - namely that whenever I need to remove carbon for certain types of medication I can just temporarily turn the reactor off as opposed to having to remove anything. You can manually adjust the flow on the Torq reactors but I usually run them wide open.

The Nyos Zeo works a bit differently than standard Zeovit in that I just place it in the Torq body, rinse all the dust off and then let it run for 3-4 months. In conjunction with the Nyos Zeo I also dose about 2ml of Nyos Zero and 2.5ml of Nyos Bio Booster daily. I've been "recycling" my used Zeo by placing it in the sun for a few days and then storing. At some point in the near future I'll probably start mixing it at a 75% new/25% recycled ratio, monitor and adjust depending on test results. The idea is that eventually I hope to be able to just run off mostly recycled Zeo rock.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun not totally sure on this but read something about it. Keeping bioblocks in the sump. If power goes out and return pump stops, bacteria colonies in blocks could stop getting oxygen. Depending on time frame could kill some bacteria and produce ammonia whereby getting into the display once pump power is restored. I’ve wanted to put bio-blocks in my sump but I think I’ll wait until I have my RP on BBU first.

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun not totally sure on this but read something about it. Keeping bioblocks in the sump. If power goes out and return pump stops, bacteria colonies in blocks could stop getting oxygen. Depending on time frame could kill some bacteria and produce ammonia whereby getting into the display once pump power is restored. I’ve wanted to put bio-blocks in my sump but I think I’ll wait until I have my RP on BBU first.
That's a really interesting point. I know the MarinePure bio blocks I use convert ammonia and nitrite to nitrate, (the nitrate removal component is fairly minimal I believe) so I'm not entirely sure what would happen in an extended power outage.

Right now I have plans in-place for limited power outages, but an extended power outage is something I need to plan for this summer.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really interesting point. I know the MarinePure bio blocks I use convert ammonia and nitrite to nitrate, (the nitrate removal component is fairly minimal I believe) so I'm not entirely sure what would happen in an extended power outage.

Right now I have plans in-place for limited power outages, but an extended power outage is something I need to plan for this summer.
@blaxsun for my emergency plan I chose a super cheap $125 HarborFreight generator to charge my high end but still fairly inexpensive BBU batteries. I will power minimal equipment off the batteries since the generator isn’t sine wave and wrecks electronics like controllers. I have multiple BBU to keep charged and swapped out. This is the least expensive plan I could come up with. Here’s one of my universal BBU.
933B6228-70DF-465E-9D71-006D3177013C.jpeg

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June 6. Alice, Alice, Who the...
Meet Absalom - our pink and green spiny sea cucumber. Absalom is a filter feeder, so he basically found his happy spot, plopped himself down and stays there pretty much 24/7. Not even the occasional snail (off to the left) can dissuade him. I can move or adjust the rock ledge he's on - nothing phases him. He's closed most of the time - and mainly becomes 'energetic' shortly after I've fed the fish (think table scraps).

absalom 2.jpg

Spiny cucumbers are quite fascinating to watch. They basically alternate sticking each tentacle into their orifice and sucking it clean (kind of like these two infamous popsicle twins). Bonus points if you can name that show. Double bonus points if you were around when it aired!

popsicletwins-original-691-437.jpg

My wife thinks we should get a 3D-printed Hookah for him and glue it to the adjacent rock. What do you guys think?

hookah.jpg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the first video BRS did on MarinePure bio media and the results on nitrate removal. I'm trying to find any followup videos.

I use it on every build, happy to report no aluminum on my icp. Never heard of low oxygen in the blocks. They don’t get much flow to begin with. I think it’s more of a cryptic zone for bacteria and microfauna

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meet Absalom - our pink and green spiny sea cucumber. Absalom is a filter feeder, so he basically found his happy spot, plopped himself down and stays there pretty much 24/7. Not even the occasional snail (off to the left) can dissuade him. I can move or adjust the rock ledge he's on - nothing phases him. He's closed most of the time - and mainly becomes 'energetic' shortly after I've fed the fish (think table scraps).

absalom 2.jpg

Spiny cucumbers are quite fascinating to watch. They basically alternate sticking each tentacle into their orifice and sucking it clean (kind of like these two infamous popsicle twins). Bonus points if you can name that show. Double bonus points if you were around when it aired!

My wife thinks we should get a 3D-printed Hookah for him and glue it to the adjacent rock. What do you guys think?

hookah.jpg
Yes! Please do it haha that thing is freaky cool!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

absalom 2.jpg

hookah.jpg
The Gong Show, no double bonus points for me though.

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June 7. Back to the Future
I was taking pictures today with the new camera and thought I'd post an updated shot of the tank. For comparison I'm also including the previous FTS, which was taken a bit later in the day as opposed to the new one (so more of the blues are in-play on the older image). I've had a bit of a recession with the bright red zoanthid colony just to the left. There are three other zoanthids taking hold and a bubbletip anemone that's decided to roost in a few different spots, so it will be interesting to look back again in 6-12 months and see what else has changed.

theabyss-fts.jpg

This is the new lighting configuration I went with. I was going to tweak it further but the corals are actually doing really, really well - especially the SPS and LPS - so I'm probably going to leave it. GSP has been going nuts, so if you compare the colonies between shots there's been incredible growth on some.

theabyss-fts2 2.jpg

You can see 32 out of 42 fish in this image. Our marine betta ("Beta") actually came out for a cameo (just sticking out along the back right behind the zoanthid covered rock). We even have a name for the rock - "Mount Doom", because two hermit crabs we named "Frodo" and "Sam" would routinely climb atop it when we had it in the other tank. "Midas" our blenny is of course in his barnacle and the others are off on patrol within the rock structure. Feeding time is a guaranteed head count!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

absalom 2.jpg

hookah.jpg
Your wife is (of course) Absolutely Correct!!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MIght check out the nyos products. I have lots of media in my sump--some ceramic media balls on a rack, bags of siporax and something else. I could prob. put the nyos zeo in the bottom of my reactor in a bag, and the boyd's chemi-blue on top-also in bags. I do like that nyos reactor and if I need a 2nd one, that is what I'll add. Also will check out the nyos zero if nitrates won't stay below 20

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

absalom 2.jpg

hookah.jpg
I love the look of Spiny Sea Cucumbers but man their care scares me. How “easy” is he to keep?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back