OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is the ability to adjust the range but I would not attempt it without a solid reference to compare to.
My min range was set to -70 and max range of 5000. It says not to change these values but I think I'm going to play around with the min range tomorrow.

Addendum: So I changed my minimum value to -40 and the PAR reading that normally hovers around 100 at this time of day had jumped up to 130. I've now adjusted the minimum value down to 0 and PAR has jumped up to around 145, so suffice it to say I think the PAR reading is now within ±10-25 of what the Apogee MQ-210 probe was measuring.

Addendum addition: I'm now finding that I get a PAR reading of ~50 at night even after the moon lights turn off - so there must be some ambient light source leaking in somewhere (or the sensitivity is just too high).

Last edited:
OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June 10. Stupid Fish
So this morning I get alerted to my Neptune leak detection sensor being triggered. This had been placed on the floor between the external IM Hydrofill ATO and the cabinet. I wasn't overly concerned as the resident idiots had triggered it once before - but I'd yet to implement any specific programming other than temporarily disabling the ATO.

Sure enough, the idiots had splashed all down the side of the tank, cabinet, all over the ATO and enough on the floor to collect in several puddles (including one with the LDK sensor).

207498_neptunesystems_lowprofilesolidsurfaceleakdetector-a.jpg

I've now implemented a single line to my pumps, skimmer, reactors and skimmers to turn off if this gets triggered (in addition to the ATO). The Sicce ContrAll app has a neat feature when power is interrupted to either of the two SDC pumps - I get a separate email and alarm specifically for this about 10 minutes after the Neptune.

+1 for the LDK from Neptune, -1 for stupid fish (and bonus points for stupid dog) that won't let me sleep in this morning.

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June 11. Route 66
I picked this coral up a few months ago because I thought it was super neat. It's called a branching goniopora and was apparently introduced by Route 66 Marine. It has finger-thin branches with small fuzzy polyps and right now only comes in red. When it gets excited (feeding time) the tentacles shoot up. The lighting wasn't ideal when I snapped this but it usually only opens up once or twice a day for a brief period so I wanted to capture it for posterity. Normally it just looks like red velvet or moss encrusting a rock.

branching-goniopora.jpg

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait?? How is it already June 10 and June 11?
Didn't you read my signature? :grinning-squinting-face:
(I was just doing these up ahead of time as I've got a busy week)

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some eye candy from my (relatively) new Sony A6400 camera and new Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS lens that I got today. These were shot handheld through the glass without the use of a tripod between 6-12" distance. I'd temporarily set the Mobius Radion G5 Blue lighting schedule to 15 000 K as I didn't have time to play around with my custom radiance (which I think would be even better).

You really can't appreciate the level of detail until you view these at 6000x4000 pixels in 32-bit color (I've had to reduce to 8-bit and resize for R2R). WOW! I know how everyone loves eye candy, so please feel free to put in any requests.

Fungia fat tentacle plate.
fungia-tentacle.jpg

Red Montipora Setosa
red-setosa.jpg

Tricolor Bonsai Acropora
tricolor-bonsai.jpg

Green Hydonophora
green-hydnophora.jpg

Blue Goniopora Colony
blue-goniopora 2.jpg

Blue Devil Damselfish (one of @Susan Edwards favorite fish!) I think this one is "Huey". Apparently my damsels are "fat", and my wife swears all the damsels have double chins...
bluedevil-damsel 2.jpg

Banggai Cardinalfish. One of the "Jailbirds". I have three cardinalfish in total, including a pajama. The two banggai have almost doubled in size since I got them only a few months ago.
banggai-cardinal.jpg

Black Sea Cucumber. Turdeau hard at work keeping my substrate clean. As part of the Sea Cucumber Collective, his designation is 1 of 5.
black-seacucumber.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg I love Turdeau, he's adorable
Turdeau and No.2 were hard at work today. The other three sea cucumber minions: Dr. Evil, Fat B a s t a r d and Mini-Me are much smaller in size but still working hard to earn their keep!

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turdeau and No.2 were hard at work today. The other three sea cucumber minions: Dr. Evil, Fat B a s t a r d and Mini-Me are much smaller in size but still working hard to earn their keep!
Please show more pictures of the cucumbers! I have a soft spot for those little guys

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please show more pictures of the cucumbers! I have a soft spot for those little guys
I will do my best to endeavour to snag some images of the others. The little ones are very active and can move around quite a bit...

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June 10. Stupid Fish
So this morning I get alerted to my Neptune leak detection sensor being triggered. This had been placed on the floor between the external IM Hydrofill ATO and the cabinet. I wasn't overly concerned as the resident idiots had triggered it once before - but I'd yet to implement any specific programming other than temporarily disabling the ATO.

Sure enough, the idiots had splashed all down the side of the tank, cabinet, all over the ATO and enough on the floor to collect in several puddles (including one with the LDK sensor).

207498_neptunesystems_lowprofilesolidsurfaceleakdetector-a.jpg

I've now implemented a single line to my pumps, skimmer, reactors and skimmers to turn off if this gets triggered (in addition to the ATO). The Sicce ContrAll app has a neat feature when power is interrupted to either of the two SDC pumps - I get a separate email and alarm specifically for this about 10 minutes after the Neptune.

+1 for the LDK from Neptune, -1 for stupid fish (and bonus points for stupid dog) that won't let me sleep in this morning.
something else I need to program. Ihave one my husband made that shrieks like a bangee when wet. Have 2 leak detecters but no programming

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June 11. Route 66
I picked this coral up a few months ago because I thought it was super neat. It's called a branching goniopora and was apparently introduced by Route 66 Marine. It has finger-thin branches with small fuzzy polyps and right now only comes in red. When it gets excited (feeding time) the tentacles shoot up. The lighting wasn't ideal when I snapped this but it usually only opens up once or twice a day for a brief period so I wanted to capture it for posterity. Normally it just looks like red velvet or moss encrusting a rock.

branching-goniopora.jpg
I think I have this one but it isn't doing well. Not even sure it is still alive...

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something else I need to program. Ihave one my husband made that shrieks like a bangee when wet. Have 2 leak detecters but no programming
I like local leak detection. Small rope detectors that can be place to indicate a leak in a particular area. Water on the floor is always bad but also vague. If you can identify the leak as water by your calcium reactor then you can shut all of that down and now freak out unless another alarm goes off.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some eye candy from my (relatively) new Sony A6400 camera and new Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS lens that I got today. These were shot handheld through the glass without the use of a tripod between 6-12" distance. I'd temporarily set the Mobius Radion G5 Blue lighting schedule to 15 000 K as I didn't have time to play around with my custom radiance (which I think would be even better).

You really can't appreciate the level of detail until you view these at 6000x4000 pixels in 32-bit color (I've had to reduce to 8-bit and resize for R2R). WOW! I know how everyone loves eye candy, so please feel free to put in any requests.

Fungia fat tentacle plate.

Red Montipora Setosa
red-setosa.jpg

Blue Devil Damselfish (one of @Susan Edwards favorite fish!) I think this one is "Huey". Apparently my damsels are "fat", and my wife swears all the damsels have double chins...
bluedevil-damsel 2.jpg
Nice setosa. I have one a bit smaller but looking good. Other corals are nice eye candy. I have 2 blue sapphire damsels that aren't big jerks. At least not yet and a yellow tail who is a perfect fish (my first in 2017)

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Dave" is now more to the back of the rock and curled up. at least he moved. He was just hanging from rock with his mouth before.
20220609_215243.jpg

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June 12. Australian Helper
This is Cinder - our four year old Blue Heeler/Australian cattle dog, helping me wrap seaweed for the fish. She mostly specializes in quality control - partaking in the occasional sample to ensure only the highest grade of seaweed is made available for the fish!

cinder.jpg

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June 12. My God... It's Full of Snails
My LFS got a large invert shipment in this morning so of course I had to drag myself out of bed and check it out. Low and behold - Nassarius snails! I've only got a handful of the regular adults and about a dozen babies - so the addition of 20 more adult nassarius snails should really boost the sand sifting.

xl1XYq8.jpg

I also remembered that they got Ring Cowries in and I should probably get another 10 of those as well. I've started keeping tracking of my new invert additions on a spreadsheet (at least I'll know what went into the tank; whether or not it remains in good standing is entirely out of my hands).

snails.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back